Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Our Cordless Phone System that has worked satisfactorily

Customer Question

Our Cordless Phone System that has worked satisfactorily for several years, now goes immediately to voice mail on an incoming call after one-ring. The voice mail has never worked. All I want it to do is ring until it can be picked up. Can not find anything in the manual that helps me.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1: Yes
2: Yes, one hard wired old fashioned land line, not working either
3: Landline, CenturyLink
4: No
5: KX-TG5200-M
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Are you able to call OUT on these (get a dial tone, rings through to someone you're calling)?

Lastly, please conduct a quick test for me - unplug power/phone line to the panasonic unit, and then call your home number from an outside line or cell phone.

What happens then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction: I do have DSL on same line.I can not call out either, now.After unplugging and calling the number, I immediately get a message, "This mailbox has not been set up by the subscriber, goodbye" What ever that means
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, but your internet does seem to be working, assuming you're talking to me from your home computer via the dsl connection. If you unplug the dsl modem, and plug a phone directly into the wall jack that was previously occupied by the modem, can you call out then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will loose my connection to you if I do that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Just bookmark/favorite this page, and you'll be able to get back to me when you are done after reconnecting the modem.