Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Panasonic KX T1450 Easa-Phone Can not get OGM cassette into

Customer Question

Panasonic KX T1450 Easa-Phone
Can not get OGM cassette into machine. Tried with power off as manual recommends. Tried switching cassettes.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When you switch cassettes, does either cassette go in ok? is the problem with one of the cassettes or with the slot?

If the problem is with the slot, check if the record head is fully in place first before trying to fit the cassette in.

Attach a photo if further assistance is required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If switching cassettes solved the problem, I wouldn't have said I can't get it in. I have tried several cassettes, and that doesn't solve the problem. The ICM space accepts the cassettes fine. I don't know if the record head is in place or not. I tried pushing the record head and related things back with a very thin, flat tool and was able to squeeze the cassette in, but it doesn't seat down properly, is high on the right, and when I turn it on, it makes the same clicking sound. It appears that the record head for the ICM cassette is retracted as if the whole recording mechanism is shifted towards the front of the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently, you didn't get all my initial communication. The ICM cassette goes in easily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you given up? I'm having technical problems with my cell phone, connecting to the internet, so I can't send you any pictures. I've been trying to find a repair manual but no luck so far. I'll try to send you the operating manual, then you will have images.
Did you get the repair manual pdf.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pamela,

I was hoping for a photo of the OGM bay to see where the problem is, however from your description it seems as though the head unit is engaged when it shouldn't be. With the system turned off, try pushing the head unit back into its Stop position.

Let me know if it moves in for you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the "head unit"? Have you looked at the pdf I sent you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've pushed the record head, and the things on either side, and it returns to it beginning position.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The head unit is the part of the machine that contains the heads, and makes contact with the tape when the tape is playing or recording.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see my last communication could have been misconstrued. When I push on the record head, etc. it doesn't stay pushed back. It comes right back to being in the way of inserting the cassette.I don't have much faith that we're going to be able to fix this. Too bad we don't have someone who is familiar with these machines. They have a great reputation.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You cannot hold the head back whilst also inserting the cassette?

You may need someone to assist with this.

However, once the cassette is in place, all should be well again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Pete: In my answer on January 11 at 8:17 I stated that I held the record head back with a thin tool, and managed to get the cassette in, but it didn't seat properly and was high on the right.
The fit was too tight at any rate. It should slide in and out easily.
I am dissatisfied with this process and would like to conclude it, and cancel the payment arrangement. Would you please tell me what steps I need to take to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. Since the ICM / OGM record equipment is shifted towards the front of the machine, not only is the OGM space too small, but the ICM cassette is abnormally far from the record head. I got this equipment from a friend who got it second hand, so no telling what happened to cause this situation.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Pamela,

in my first response I requested a photo so that I could see what is going on.

Without seeing first hand what is occurring, I am unable to provide a definitive answer.

To cancel payment, you will need to contact customer services -***@******.***

Best,

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I photographed the machine, but ran into technical difficulties connecting my cell phone to the internet. I queried technical support from Mozilla, but didn't find any resolution. I provided the operating manual which has diagrams. There is nothing special to be seen, only that the recording mechanism is shifted forward, perhaps a half an inch.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then since it is not in the correct position it is likely broken and will require a repair.