Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

The portable phones do not ring. The phone line is open,and

Customer Question

the portable phones do not ring. The phone line is open,and able to communicate, just no ring to alert that there is a call . I have tried the trouble shooting. to see if the ringer is off, If so, I can't figure out how to turn it on.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the phone system. Additionally, please confirm:

• • there is a dialtone;
  • • able to make a successful outgoing call.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
model# ***** yes there is a dial tone. yes able to make outgoing call. with static
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information Judith.

Is there a "bell icon" with a slash mark displayed in the handset's screen?

Have you tried pressing on the + button when the handsets are indicating an incoming call ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no speaker with slash also volume is on. on first test after I restarted , phone rang once, so I think volume is ok.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Other than ringing, do the base and/or the handset show any sign of an incoming call?

And who is your phone service provider please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nothing showing on handset or base. provider is at&t
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

I understand and two (2) possibilities:

• • call forwarding;
  • • VoiceMail (not the Panasonic's built-in answering machine).

Have you tried calling the Panasonic's number and note if it:

• • would ring at least in the calling phone;
  • • or a voice announcement of sorts;
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no call forwarding, and no voicemail when I call from another phone to the portable phone I get static and it cuts my phone off before it can make a connection.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

These results are rather significant particularly "...static and it cuts my phone off before it can make a connection..."

Have you brought this to the attention of AT&T?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, thought it was the portable phone since we can call out. what do you think?
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Doubtful that it would be a Panasonic issue basically due to the presence of "static".

Even if it were a problem with the "portable phone", the base unit would show some sign of an incoming call.

Or more significantly, the "...other phone..." used to call the Panasonic should be able to hear the ringing even if not the portable phone / Panasonic handsets.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My sister and I have been able to talk if we both know when to pick up the phone as the line is open when I call. That is why I suspect the ringer is off, but have tried all the reasons for it to be off, and nothing works. So I will check with at&t, but since the phone does work, don't know what will happen. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it works out.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Yes please; an update when able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am closing this window shortly, so won't be responding. Thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

I understand.

Cheers.