Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have two phone lines connected to a single, and I use a

Customer Question

I have two phone lines connected to a single jack, and I use a two-line phone. I want to re-wire the jack to swap line 1 into line 2 and then line 2 to line 1. Which wires should I move around?
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a photo of the existing wiring.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

On your 2 line (single) jack, it will have 4 wires coming in. The 2 on the inside are one "pair" (ring and tip), with the outside 2 being another pair. Typically the 2 inside would be line 1, the outside 2 are line 2. So just take the 2 outside and move them to the inside pair of the new jack, leaving the original alone. This will give you 2 separate single line jacks.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The line 1 should be red/green, and yellow/black will be L2.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please review the question and the photos. The lines are currently wired to a single jack, which is what I want to keep. I just want to swap lines one and two, keeping the single jack. I provided a photo but your answer indicates moving pairs of wires with colors that aren't paired on my jack.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well your wiring is not standard, whomever are set it up has some wrong color pairs, but the top 2 on the picture are going to be the outside conductors (l2) and bottom 2 are the inside pair or line 1. So if you want to change those 2 around, then you're just flipping the top and bottom wires.