Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I get no dial tone, nor am I able to get response when it

Customer Question

I get no dial tone, nor am I able to get response when it rings
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1) 2
2) no
3) cable co
4) no
5 EL52253
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

As a next step, you will need to test another device to isolate the problem.

Can you please get (find/borrow/buy) a basic corded/wall phone, and see if that gets a dial tone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ripoff
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

This is a diagnostic process, I can't help you without knowing more about the problem, and this is a necessary step to determine the cause of the problem, which can be a line/service issue, a wiring issue, or an ATT issue.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If it is absolutely not possible for you to test the line, we can proceed with some other steps, but it makes the process more difficult and time consuming, and could ultimately cost you more in the long run.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Sue, you've already paid the full agreed upon price to the site correspond with me, and I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers. It is in both of our interest for you to reply back so that we may continue the conversation here and resolve your issue.