MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been repairing telephone systems, wireless and wired multi line systems as well as computer transmisions.
11519491

I had a Lucent partner 18 system, some how I can't hear from

Customer Question

I had a Lucent partner 18 system, some how I can't hear from the other end, phone still ring like normal but when I pick up it have a sound like shower. Please help.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

The more you tell me the quicker we can solve your your problem ;-)

How old is your Partner 18 system, and were there any power outages or surges hat you are are of just prior to this problem?

Are you saying that you cant hear the other party on the line?

Or is the problem something else?

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
My system is very old, about 15-20 years old system, no dial tone when you pick up but when customer call in it ring and caller id show but when you pick up only hear a sound like water running, all 3 phone had the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can not hear from the other end when pick up, only water running sound.

Thank you for that information. This was a very good phone system in its day. The problem you have is with the main base unit. If you have electronics background and the tools I can help you repair this one.

Usually this will be caused by failing electrolytic capacitors but I cant be sure without some testing of the circuits inside.

If you have the experience I will help until this is fixed, if not then you would need to take this system to Best Buy or Sears, they will take it in and service it. They both are excellent and fair priced ;-)

All they will need is the main base to fix this problem.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete,

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

There is no cost to rate ;-)

Thank you and have a nice evening!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do had background with electricity. What can I do next?

Hi thanks thats great.

I need you to first open the unit to get at the boards. Once you get that fa, please visually inspect all the electrolytic caps for bulging tops or even the appearance that they leaked. Then let me know if you find anything like that. Also we are going to need to do a cleaning of the main board because dust and moisture can also create him and other distortion.

Since the noise is present on all headsets we can safely say they problem is with the main board, I know this one form yeas of experience with this model and this problem.

This is a process and we will get it fixed, so please rate kindly at this time, there is no extra cost to do that, but this will keep me locked in with you until we have this working correctly.

In the mean time I will so if I can locate the schematic so I can guide you better.

Thanks

Tech Michael