Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Panasonic phones have been dominated by a resident of

Customer Question

My Panasonic phones have been dominated by a resident of India for several months, starting with a virus in my computers which have been restored by a repair technician. The phone which transmit by computer coding, remain impaired. None of the techies I have consulted familiar with removing the phone intrusion. Can you offer a solution?
Comcast cannot solve this problem although techies have been here twice to look at it and talk to the Indian.
xxxx xxxx***@******.***
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the Panasonic phone directly connected to a 2-wire phone line? ...or is connected to a modem and is part of a cable system? ...or is it used with a 3rd party system such as magicJack?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phones (base and two satellites) connect via a modem to computer and incoming signals are computer coded, not hardline. This Indian gained access while infecting my desktop and laptop which required removal by a techie. When he fixed the computers it left the phone line connected to the Indian. Her deleted my phone directory, makes it evident he listens to my calls, dials me daily from dummied-up numbers nearby or from my directory, and is able to stop some of my incoming calls. Two techies, a Comcast repairman, and several gurus on the web have had no solution for me and some had never heard of this problem at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phones are bluetooths.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Based on the description of "...Phones (base and two satellites) connect via a modem..."; what is the model number of the modem please?

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

...and the issue of "...dominated by a resident of India..." persists even with the computer(s) turned off and/or the bluetooth paired cellphone also turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An engineer on Just Answer suggested the Beaverton Police Department. He formerly resided here where I live. It's a suburb of Portland. Thought I had the answer, but they have no staff, no techies and no money add these. Paid my fee and never got a refund. Hope this won't be the case again. Modem model TM602G/115 supplied by Comcast. I also have a personal modem online to improve local reception. It's a Cisco with serial No., but I do not find a model No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cisco Linksys EA4500
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As inquired above; ...and the issue of "...dominated by a resident of India..." persists even with the computer(s) turned off and/or the bluetooth paired cellphone also turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He cannot reach me when computers are turned off. The phone is always connected via computer coding. Shutting down the computers has no effect on the phones. The Indian I suspect speaks Hindi or Urdu as his native language. I has been in India
and recognize the whiny version of English spoken the, a legacy of the Raj under the Brits.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • have Comcast replace the TM602G (MAC address) and the IP address assigned to it;
  • • run again a virus scan or even a search for an 'unknown' app/program particularly running on bootup and/or in the background.

How many computers are using the TM602G? What are their OS (Operating System?

Still, these are rather conflicting; "...cannot reach me when computers are turned off...Shutting down the computers has no effect on the phones..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried changing my Comcast telephone number, a remedy suggested at ;your site from an engineer in Colorado. He said call the Beaverton Police as some department have techies on the staff. Disregard "cannot reach me ...." I was distracted by a visitor when I wrote that and don't recall where my thought was headed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Time for dinner here. I'll return at 6 p.m.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but no, not just the telephone number but the IP address and the MAC address which are the electronic IDs of the hardware devices.

And please clarify as as posted above; these are rather conflicting; "...cannot reach me when computers are turned off...Shutting down the computers has no effect on the phones..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See above for conflicting statements. I'll be back here Saturday. Not familiar with MAC address. IP address is***@******.***. Comcast replaced their modem several months before this trouble began. Everything was working normally with the new modem until the Indian butted in. I am now using this number with the phones:(###) ###-####after abandoning(###) ###-####as Comcast recommended. The latter number was mine for 45 years. The Indian was on the line an hour after the change. He can use a multiplicity of bogus numbers identifying his phone. They may appear as they do in my missing directory as coming from friends, my doctor, or a fictitious resident of a nearby town. I ID him by his squeaky voice and haven't actually spoken to him for months although a Comcast techie twice dialed him up and told him to get off the line to no avail. Lately he's been calling once daily. In the beginning, he called 10 or more times daily. I don't pick up the phone to answer, haven't for months. I have a cell phone to make important calls.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The "*****@******.***..." is an email address while the MAC address would be something like 00:0a:95:9d:68:16 whereas an IP address would be something like 159.357.456.001. The MAC address is bonded to a hardware device such as the TM602G as its electronic ID while the IP address is assigned by Comcast system and 'married' to your network subscription almost like an account number.

Still, please consider / try the:

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

These steps would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Paul,

On the "... MAC address TM602G...", please try looking at the bottom of the modem as it is normally printed on a sticker together with the serial number.