Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Incoming calls do not activate ring on my cordless answering

Customer Question

incoming calls do not activate ring on my cordless answering system model KX-TG6821AL
so cannot receive calls. What can I do ??
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) How many TOTAL handsets do you have with this system?

2) If more than one handset, do ALL handsets have the same issue?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) Can you still make outgoing calls (successfully)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) two
2) yes
3) Telstra
4) yes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - can you tell me if the handsets do ANYTHING when an incoming call comes in, such as the display on the handsets lights up?

Also, can you take a close look at the displays and tell me if you see any unusual icons there, such as a "bell" - with a line through it OR a moon & star icon?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no and no
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK - do you have a DIFFERENT phone - such as a basic corded phone - that you can connect in place of the MAIN BASE UNIT - and see if that will ring when a call comes in?

Also, do you have access to a different phone line - such as a mobile phone or neighbor's phone - that can be used to place a TEST CALL to your Telstra number? The idea here is to TEST what is heard - from an outside callers point of view.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not have basic corded phone.have called with my mobile and there was no sound.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Does that mean that when you called from the mobile that you did NOT hear the ring indicator - IN the mobile phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has rung before. this is a new phone and is connected to the line thru a splitter, I have tried connecting the base unit directly to the line and it made no difference.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

So do you have a DIFFERENT phone connected through that splitter (or a different phone outlet) and that different phone DOES ring?

If that is the case, is there a "filter" inline to that different phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard the soft ring tone indicator on the mobile but nothing from the handset or base unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the splitter is for the wi fi
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - what about a filter in line? Do you have one of those?

Also, do you have an OLD phone (that did work), that you can reconnect and see if it rings?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm thinking if you have some kind of "WiFi" connected to the same splitter as the phone, you MAY need to get a DSL filter and install it inline with the Panasonic Mail Base Unit. I have attached an edited (highlighted) image from the manual, that show where the DSL filter should be - in a typical installation.

You can also try connecting ONLY the phone - the phone out - to see if that makes any difference, but if you have DSL service on the same phone line, you may need the filter in that configuration too (just as in the diagram).

Please let me know what you find and what can be done to TEST this installation.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)