Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Cannot get the caller id and talking caller id features to

Customer Question

cannot get the caller id and talking caller id features to work. have model KX-TG6572-R phone. I have my old phone which works fine and the phone is same model as the 6572-R except that the phone is older and needed to replace.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your system.

Just for clarification, may I if this is ONLY a NEW HANDSET - that was added to your cordless system, or is it an entirely new SYSTEM - including a new MAIN BASE UNIT and handset(s)?

Also, while the call is coming in, can you see the Caller ID information on the screen of ANY handset in the system?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a new handset with new base added to the already system, I still have the old phone/base connected to the system and the caller ID work fine with the old phone and base.
I disconnected the old phone/base from the system having the new phone/base connected and when receiving a call, the display says Incoming call and then goes into missed call. When you check the missed call the display says who called.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

So do you SEE the Caller ID on the NEW system - at any time (during the call or in the missed call list)?

And, can you disconnect the OLD system and connect the NEW system - to the exact same phone jack where the old base unit was connected, and then TEST again?

The KEY is to find out what is DIFFERENT between the two systems, as usually a "Caller ID" issue is related to "wiring" or the "signal strength" where the base unit is connected.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new system only displays the call info when u check the missed call. the new system is plugged into the same wall jack as the old system. I can plug the old system into any other wall jack and the caller ID works fine. I even took the old system out and the new system still doesn't work in the caller ID mode.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - may I ask what phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

May I also ask if you have internet service from the same provider AND if there may be a "DSL Filter" inline with the OLD phone cord?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verizon is are phone provider and they also provide our internet service. I do have DSL filters to all my jacks where there is a phone including to the old base system which is working fine. I don't know what else to do, I wonder if this new phone/base has a wiring issue from the manufacturer. When I first had this issue, I took the phone back and exchanged it with another (same model) and the second phone still has the same problem.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that details information.

That does sounds strange - that TWO systems would have the same issue, and the OLDER system (of the same model?) is working well.

May I ask WHERE these new systems were purchased, and if they were sold as USED or REFURBISHED?

Also, can you take a look at the following video, and turn ON the Talking Caller ID for the NEW system (and handset), and let me know if that makes any difference at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2bD1WDfl0

Please let me know what you see and HEAR - when you place a TEST CALL to your Verizon number - using an outside phone (such as cell phone or neighbor's phone).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new systems were purchase at Wal - Mart and they were made in China and were sold as new items. I'll let u know what happens.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome.

I look forward to your results.

NOTE: If no real change, then the next step I would suggest (if possible) is to take the NEW system to a different location (and/or provider phone line) and TEST this Caller ID feature there. I only suggest this because Caller ID CAN BE very "sensitive" to the signal level - of the phone line.

And yes, almost ALL electronics is "made in China" these days ... sad but true (in my opinion), but that is how these devices can be made & sold for such a low cost.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the video is the same procedure as in the instruction booklet, I redid the settings again and called from my cell phone, the phone ranged and displayed " Incoming Call ", when I hung up the cell phone, the new phone displayed " Missed Call ", did not get any audio on the base phone. I had to go into the Missed Call List to see who called, if there was a voice mail, had to select the VM button. I tried at another location and had the same results
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

When you say " I tried at another location and had the same results", does that mean that you took the NEW SYSTEM (base and handset) to a neighbor's home, connected it there, and then called the neighbor's number, and had the same results (no Talking Caller ID) for either the BASE or the handset (assuming you had the HANDSET turned ON to speak the Caller ID)?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)