Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

My KX-TGEA20 cordless phone screen says line in use....no

Customer Question

my KX-TGEA20 cordless phone screen says line in use....no one is using the phone and I can't clear it...help
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just purchased this 3 handset system...all three handset say the same thin...when anyone tries to call they get a busy signal. My phone service is a local phone/cable co, my internet and tv are from them and they are working fine. Model is PanasonicKX-TGEA20
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I need to know specifically - do you have any other phone there, not part of the panasonic cordless system?

And which model do you have? What you are sending is the handset model, I need the part number off the base station.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry..I dont have any other phones ,except a cel
l,the model # *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you have a prior phone?

I ask because This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets).

The only way to isolate the problem further is to test another phone on the same line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope...threw my old ones away.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that makes diagnostics a bit more difficult.

Is the panasonic base plugged into the same wall jack that was working before for the old phone?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

As another test, can you unplug the phone line to the panasonic base, and then call your home number from the cell, and tell me if you still get a busy signal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...yes everythings the same...I can't believe I paid 26 bucks for this....
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if the problem still continues, it is not a panasonic issue. This is a fault in the line.

You'll need to contact your phone (cable) company, and they will need to send a tech out to check the equipment on their end.

If you need more information, just let me know.

Otherwise, to clarify how the site works, regarding your comment about the payment:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control - in cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem.

I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.