Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Panasonic landline phone model KX-tg 6071 S We are painters

Customer Question

Panasonic landline phone model KX-tg 6071 S
We are painters and have disconnected the 3 phones. When we plugged them back in there is no sound, and they have been charging overnight.
?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issues with these phones.

May I ask:

1) Have you pressed the TALK button on the handsets, and listened for the dial tone?

2) Is there any message on the display of the handset(s), when you press the TALK button?

3) Have you pressed the SP-PHONE button - on the MAIN BASE UNIT - to see if there is a dial tone there?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having homeowner do these things now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is elderly and may take her a while. Will you still be online when she provides me the answers to these 3 items?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

I would recommend STARTING with the MAIN BASE UNIT - to make sure you have dial tone there (using the SP-PHONE button), and then check the handsets.

Also, I have to run out for some parts, and may be delayed in responding, but please stick with me. I'm expecting no more than 30 minutes to get the parts (probably less).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when we press the SP PHONE it lights up but the message says LINE IN USE AND no dial tone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i have to leave to go to the job. so I will have to leave my computer. I didn't know you were going to leave in the middle of my session.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I'm back - you still there?

Did she check at the MAIN BASE UNIT?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

If she DID check at the main base and was NOT getting a dial tone (when SP-PHONE button pushed), then something else could be hanging the line busy (in use).

The next steps would be to isolate (disconnect) EVERYTHING from ALL the phone jacks in the home, WAIT about 5 minutes (for the line to clear), then reconnect ONE thing to the line - to see if the condition is still there.

Let me know when you can get back to me with the results.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we checked nothing worked
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

This could be an issue with the SERVICE itself, and more steps would be needed to troubleshoot that.

Now you mentioned being a painter and had disconnected the phones at one point. Was any "wiring" or removing of phone jack back plates involved AT ALL?

I only ask because there could have been "poor wiring" that was exposed and shorted or manipulated that is causing this issue.

If that is the case, then finding and correcting that wiring issue is the next step.

If it was me, I would start by disconnecting the home wiring at the entry point into the home and TESTING for a dial tone right there - to see if this is an inside wiring issue or a phone service issue.

Please let me know what is found so we can take the next step(s)?

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)