Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a two line Panasonic phone, model KX-TG9472B, we were

Customer Question

I have a two line Panasonic phone, model KX-TG9472B, we were having some problems with it, so decided to buy new phone Two line AT&T it had so much static you couldn't hear the calling person. So packed up the AT&T and plugged the old Panasonic phone back in, but now we can't get a dial tone, what did I do wrong?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

May I ask:
1) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line(s)?
2) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line(s) (not part of the Panasonic system)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have Verizon and a fax machine attached to the line
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK - can you VERIFY that BOTH lines are now "stuck" (no dial tone)?

Also, do you also have DSL (or internet service) over one of these lines?

IF so, was there or is there a "filter" attached to a phone jack for one or both of these lines?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are stuck no dsl service
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that.

OK - do you have another outside line (cell phone or neighbor's phone) that you can use to place a TEST call to one or both of these phone lines?

The objective is to TEST what happens when someone calls and see (hear) what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says that this number has been disconnected or no longer in service
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

That's interesting ... Does it do this for BOTH lines?

If so, has ANYTHING been done lately - to possibly cancel you Verizon account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Does it do this for BOTH lines?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I asked again because I actually asked TWO questions, and only got ONE answer (which was NO).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - as I understand the situation right now:

- The system (both lines) was working with Panasonic system connected.

- The Panasonic was disconnected, and an AT&T 2-line phone was connected in it place.

- The AT&T phone had too much noise & static, so was disconnected.

- The Panasonic was reconnected - to the exact same phone cords and jacks (as used previously), and now has no dial tone on either line.

- When BOTH lines were called from an outside line, it now says "service disconnect" (or something like that).

Is that a correct assessment /summary?

If so, I will want to do a couple more TESTS.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We again changed back to the ATT phones and still no dial tone
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

So was/is that a correct summary - except that the AT&T phone was put back on the lines?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Did we get disconnected?

I didn't see a reply from my last message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i am here
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - I will assume that the summary is correct then.

Now that "no longer in service" message that you hear when trying to call one of the lines has me concerned. That sounds like Verizon may have "turned off" the service, or otherwise disconnected it, OR perhaps is having trouble with their network. So you will most likely need to contact them directly (I have their main service number below) to look into this.

Verizon Customer Support: 1-***-***-****

BUT, if you would like to do one more TEST - I have the steps below.

1) Disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone connections (jacks, direct wiring, etc.) for ALL lines.

2) Leave the lines disconnected and WAIT 5-10 minutes.

3) While STILL having EVERYTHING disconnected, place a NEW TEST CALL to both lines - one at a time.

4) If you STILL hear the "no longer in service" message for both lines, that will confirm that this is a "service issue", and you will want to contact the service provider as soon as you can. Their support number should be available 24 hours a day - every day.

NOTE: If the "no service" messages goes away, it would be safe to reconnect ONE DEVICE ONLY - and TEST for a clean a clear dial tone.

Please let me know what happens when you try this TEST or if you have any other details or questions for me.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was Verizon so they fixed it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Very good and thanks for letting me know what was found.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)