Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Cant get my new handset DS6501 to register to my existing

Customer Question

cant get my new handset DS6501 to register to my existing base DS6521-2 base. I set it in the base it indicates that it is registering and then indicates that it has failed. the hand set is fully charged, no other handsets are in use at the moment.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

The things that you are doing to register the headset with the base are the correct steps. Have you tried resetting the base completely to clear all pairings off of it, and then try to do the registration? If it fails with the same handset every time regardless of what order you do the pairing in assuming you have more than one handset, then there is a mechanical problem with the handset itself. It could be a battery or more likely it could be one of the boards inside that is not pairing at all. If this is the case, you may have to replace that handset with another one. if it happens to be under warranty I can help you with a warranty claim, if not I can certainly try to find you a replacement handset if that's the route you want to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a brand new handset. are you suggesting that I return it and get another one?

No. You made no mention of the handset being brand new. How many handsets are you pairing to the base?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the first time line of my question I stated that the handset was new... There are two hand sets that were originally paired with the base. I am attempting to pair a new third handset.

Please try deregistering all handsets and then registering again.

To deregister all handsets: Press and hold /FIND HANDSET on the telephone base for about 10 seconds until the IN USE light on the telephone base turns on and starts flashing. Immediately press /FIND HANDSET again. You must press /FIND HANDSET while the IN USE light is still flashing. The IN USE light flashes for approximately five seconds. All handsets show To register HS... and ...see manual alternately when the deregistration process completes. The deregistration process takes about 10 seconds to complete.

Make certain that no handsets are in use during the deregister or the register, otherwise it will not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deregistered the other two hand sets and tried to reregistered all three. I tried to regester the new handset second to see if it might be that the base can only accomidate two handsets (even though the online manual says this base can accomidagte up to 5 handsets) It still failed to register. I was then able to register the second of the original handsets that I have.

In that case, then I would say yes, there IS something wrong with the hardware of the handset. It definitely should have registered as the second handset - you just had one registered there. It has to be that new handset.

Have I answered your question or do you need additional information?

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service, OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT at your convenience.