Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

The handset of my AT&T 5.8 digital phone is hot to touch and

Customer Question

the handset of my AT&T 5.8 digital phone is hot to touch and no longer works. The readout says it's charging, but after and overnight wait it still doesn't work. The base phone does work and I can use the loudspeaker device.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

May I ask:

1) the MODEL NUMBER of the system (usually printed on the bottom of the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system?

2) the AGE of the system?

3) WHEN this issue was first noticed?

4) Has the battery in the handset EVER been replaced (since new), and if so, WHEN was the last time it was replaced?

Thanks

P.S. As a CAUTION - please removed the handset that is hot from the charging base for now - and allow it to cool off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, after calling in a neighbor with better vision, using two flashlights, taking an iPhone picture of the darn thing; I got this: Model # ***** It is at least 10 years old and the battery has never been replaced. I noticed this problem yesterday morning.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - if the battery has NEVER been replaced, that is the FIRST thing I would try.

NOTE: Batteries getting HOT like that are one of the signs that the batteries are going bad. Also, I usually recommend that batteries be replaced about every 2-3 years - even if they don't appear to be bad. About the only exception would be for a handset that almost never gets used, and sits on a charger all day long.

Let me see if I can find the part number and type for the battery for you.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It looks like the batteries used in the handset are what have become a pretty "standard" type battery - which is a Nickle-Metal Hydride in the form of the "AA" size.

You should be able to find these at almost any store that sell cordless phones, including electronics & office supply stores. Just make sure you get the same type and capacity and then allow them to charge up for at least 2 hours when trying to use the handset.

As a reference, I found a listing on Amazon for replacement batteries - so you will know what to look for.

AT&T E5865 Replacement batteries
http://amzn.to/1NDxmOd

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)