Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

When I lift the telephone (5.8 GHz Digital Gigarange) from

Customer Question

When I lift the telephone (5.8 GHz Digital Gigarange) from its cradle, I did not get a dial tone. Instead, when I press "TALK," the window reads "No link to base. Move closer to base, try again." I am as close to its base as I can possibly be. Help!
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually, 5.8 and gigarange are features)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 handsets, AT&T and Panasonic; problem only with the Panasonic model KX-TG5651S. When I lift the phone from its cradle, I cannot receive a dial tone. A message written on the phone is "No link to base. Move closer to base, try again."
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I've attempted to take your call request but it failed on your end. You may need to increase your deposit for it to be approved.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The issue you're having would indicate a hardware failure in the panasonic base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.