Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Phone answering machine will give a message but will not

Customer Question

Phone answering machine will give a message but will not take the message - it just makes a loud noise.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phone/answering system.

May I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone/answering system you are working with?
2) WHEN did this issue first begin?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (not part of the Panasonic system)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Panasonic KX-TG7731
2) Recently
3) Comcast
4) ADT security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP computer and printer also attached
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

May I ask if you can do a QUICK TEST for me?

This assumes that you have a different phone (cell phone for instance) that you can use to call your Comcast number.

The TEST is to DISCONNECT the phone cord from the Panasonic base unit, and then call your Comcast line and see what happens.

What we are TESTING is to see if "some other system" is on and taking your calls, and generating that "noise" you are hearing.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction phone #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Let me see if I can get a phone line to call you (one not available right this minute).

In the mean time, do you have a different phone that you can use to call your Comcast number - to see what is heard during that call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you reply to corrected phone number?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I see the corrected number, but don't have an outside line available right now.

Do you have a cell phone that you can use to place that TEST CALL to your Comcast number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Still don't have an outside line - sorry about that.

Can YOU call your Comcast number and TEST what happens when you do that?

That is, the number of rings you hear, the EXACT greeting, and if you CAN TRY to leave a message - as a TEST?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The test is the same as the previous information give to you. 4 rings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The response to leaving a message is static noise.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - I did NOT see the results of the previous TEST CALL.

So did you hear the GREETING after the 4 rings, and if so, were you ABLE to leave a TEST MESSAGE - and NOT hear the noise when that message was left?

AND - what the message LENGTH actually recorded on the Panasonic system (say you left a 5 second message - did you have 5 seconds of noise)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A technician worked on my computer. Is it possible that something he did caused this problem? He will be returning in a week to make some corrections.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that IS possible - IF the computer is connected to the phone line (and not just network).

To TEST if that is the case, can you temporarily disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone connections, and try your TEST CALL again?

This is just trying to VERIFY that the Panasonic is picking up the call and recording the noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My message was clear. As soon as the beep to record my message the static and loud noise began. I think we should discontinue this service. I need do have the computed technician check this out as I feel this happened at the time he worked on my equipment. If this is not so I will contact you again. Response, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the charges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for response.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If you can TEST by taking everything loose from the phone lines, we can find out NOW if the computer is the issue, OR if it is something else.

But from your description, it sounds like a loose connection OR some other device is getting on the line and "injecting" that noise.

As for charges, I'm paid when you rate my service at a level of OK or better, for whatever your bid price was (I get only a portion and can not see what your bid was).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With no response I can assume there are no charges.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We experts can not advise about how this system works or anything to do with your private information (including charges).

But I can say that any deposit is intended to pay for my time and assistance - for as long as it takes to get to the bottom of this issue.

And if you do rate at OK or above, you are not "cut off" but we can continue to communicate about this issue for as long as needed.

More details about this system may be found at the following link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this issue and when you are ready to do some more testing.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)