Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Instead of a dial tone, I hear a constant

Customer Question

Instead of a dial tone, I hear a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp!! How do I fix the problem.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

May I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) WHEN did this issue first begin?

4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kx tga4731 Panasonic
Comcast
A few hours ago
Nothing else is attached
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask:

1) the TOTAL number of cordless handsets you have with this system and if more than one, do ALL handsets have the same symptoms?

2) Do you have the Comcast "feature" where when someone calls, their Caller ID shows up on the TV (if TV is on)?

3) Do you have access to a DIFFERENT phone (cell, neighbor's phone, etc.) where you can call your Comcast number and see what is heard AND if the Caller ID shows on your TV (if you have that feature)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have three handsets. The same problem on all handsets.
We don't have the Comcast feature.
When I call I'm sent directly to voicemail.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - it sounds like there is a "line problem", and I SUSPECT that is the Comcast service that is the cause, but we should TEST to make sure ANYTHING that may be connected to the phone line is NOT causing this issue.

So let me ask if you can DISCONNECT the phone cord from the Panasonic MAIN BASE UNIT, and any other devices that may be attached to ANY phone jack in your home, and WAIT 5 minutes ... then place a NEW TEST CALL to your Comcast number and see if you hear ANY rings at all.

NOTE: EVERYTHING should STILL BE DISCONNECTED from ALL phone jacks in your home when the call is placed. What we are trying to do is TEST to see if anything connected is the cause.

If you STILL get an immediate switch to your voice mail, then we will have to take further steps.

Please let me know what you hear when you do this next TEST.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my last post, but wanted to send the following before I sign off for the night.

If disconnecting everything from the phone lines did NOT clear the issue and allow your TEST CALL to at least ring (in the calling phone), then we KNOW that the issue is with the Comcast service.

The next step that you should be able to do is to RESET your "gateway" - assuming you have such a device. The gateway is typically a LARGE box, with a bunch of lights on the front, and several cables & cords in the back, including a phone cord.

To RESET this gateway, all you need to do is remove any power connection (including any "battery pack") from the gateway and leave it disconnected for AT LEAST 2 FULL MINUTES, then reconnect the power.

What this does is "reboot & reload" any control software into that gateway, and restarts ALL of the services (TV, Internet, phone, etc.).

After that reset, reconnect the Main Base Unit of your Panasonic system and TEST for a normal dial tone AND that you can now make and receive calls (do another TEST CALL if needed).

If all that still does not restore the phone line, it would be time to give your provider a call (using an alternate line). I have their contact numbers below - if you need them - and there should be someone there 24 hours a day to answer your call. NOTE: You will be trying to reach "Technical Support".

1-800-COMCAST
1(###) ###-####/strong>

1-800-XFINITY
1.***-***-****

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions or symptoms to report.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)