Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Do you have knowledge on vodavi star plus systems

Customer Question

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

I do. What kind of problem are you having with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When picking up a co line to call all you get is a fast click click click sound. When you dial an extension it acts and sounds like it will connect then it starts clicking and buses out. Pulling a card out either station or c/o and power cycling brings it back and then card can be added back and it will work ok until the next time it fails. I eliminated the eksu and this provided spare cards which I moved around but still have the phantom issue.

So, it's not removing a specific card that solves the issues that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Seems like its a power supply issue. If I remove the chip and put it in a new KSU will the program all be lost. What software can I use to copy the data to a computer. From the KSU to computer is it an upload or download

Yes, but you can download the database using hyper terminal and Windows or any terminal program. The process is a bit involved as it usually is with one of these systems. Here are the steps:

A PC terminal connected to the RS-232C port on the MPB, or remotely through the
19.2K baud modem, is used for database programming. When using a data terminal (ASCII or
PC capable of emulating an ASCII terminal) on-site or locally, to program the system:
1. Press <Enter> on the terminal.
2. Enter the password [default = 3226vodavi], and press <Enter> again. Proper entry of the
password ***** in the Adm> prompt. Proceed with programming referring to Figure F-1
on page F-4 for terminal characters that represent the key set buttons. By entering [?]
from the terminal, a Help screen displays.
When entering the system remotely via a PC, access to the modem is accomplished by
accessing Port 499 through a direct ringing assignment or through DISA or by being
transferred to Port 499.
HYPERTERMINAL -- Downloading a Database File
After opening HyperTerminal, and the New Connection screen displays, complete the
following steps:
1. Type connection name and select appropriate icon, then click <OK>.
2. When the Phone Number screen displays, change the setting in the Connect Using box
to: ***** ***** COM1, and then click <OK>.
3. Once the COM1 Properties screen displays, change the settings as shown, and then click
<OK>.
_ Baud Rate = 19.2K
_ Parity = None
_ Data Bits = 8
_ Stop Bits = 1
_ Flow Control = Xon/Xoff or None
4. Press <Enter> and complete the following fields:
5. On the tool bar, click <Transfer> and select Receive File.
6. Change Receive Protocol setting to XMODEM, and click <Receive>.
7. Type database filename and click <OK>. The Adm> prompt displays when the file transfer
is complete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't Vodavi have a program for this and where can I find it. Thought they had an admin or echo program

If I knew of one I would've provided that to but to my knowledge they don't have anything special to administer their system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
download takes it from phone to computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I don't understand #1 and at the end how do I know the file name?

Yes download downloads from the phone to the computer.

If you don't know the database name, you can dump the database from the system to print it. I believe that has the database name in it. It's been about 10 years since I've done this, so I'm not sure about whether it does.

Press the ENTIRE SYSTEM flexible button (FLASH 85, Button #8). The following message displays:

PRINT DATABASE

PRESS HOLD

. To print the entire database, press the HOLD button. The display updates to indicate what portion of the database is printing. 3. When the system finishes sending the database to the printer, a confirmation tone sounds.