Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

We are having problems with our cordless phone. Part way

Customer Question

We are having problems with our cordless phone. Part way through a call the other party cannot hear us but we can hear them. We have had the line checked and also tried moving the base station to different locations. We have even bought new phones. Any thoughts?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is the new phone system doing this as well?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new phone is doing this. The problem is intermittent.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If the new phone is doing the same thing, the phones are not the problem. You said an engineer came and checked the outside lines so that is not the problem. When you switched phone systems did you switch the phone cable going to the wall jack?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the new cable. Also the engineer replaced the master socket as it was an old socket
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Did he test the line inside the walls? It sounds like you ruled everything out except that.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the phone connected to the master socket we are still having this problem
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he did not test lines beyond the master socket which is located inside on a window sill
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you ask him to come back by any chance? From what you have told me everything except the lines inside the walls have been tested. So that is most likely what is causing your problem.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem persists when we are not using the internal lines for the phone. Also our broadband router is connected to the master socket. No problems with broadband. Apart from the abysmal low speed due to our remote location
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean it is happening when not using the internal line? No matter what if you are using your land line you should be using your internal line all of the time. The only exception being if your phone is plugged directly into the router. If that is the case the router itself is most likely the problem and could also explain your slow speeds if they are slower than they were originally.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The external line terminates at the master socket which is inside. The phone and the router are connected to this via a microfilter.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a DSL filter, have you tried changing the filter?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. I have replaced them in the past when they have gone completely. Have you come across the symptoms i have described. It is very frustrating when anything between 4 and 10 minutes in to a call the other caller cannot hear us but they are quite clear.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I have and it can be caused by many things varying on setup etc. Right now it sounds like yours is being caused by the filter. You have ruled out most other things. Can you test that for me?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a spare one at present. I shall order online and monitor things once I have changed it. No one locally will stock them. We are 100 miles from shops
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No problem take all the time you need, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for just now.
Hope this works. I am still suspicious of external lines. Problem is more likely to happen on a windy day of which we have many. When openreach check line it is ok.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately all we can do with the external line is trust the technician who checked them did his job properly.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again
Allan
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
.