Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Panasonic kxtga402 phone. I've used it very little

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic kxtga402 phone. I've used it very little at my home because I mostly use my cell phone. Now one handset doesn't work. It rings when a phone call comes in, but the handset screen says blank and won't answer the call. I have replaced the batteries with new Panasonic batteries, thinking that may be the problem, but still doesn't work.
Since this phone has hardly been used, does it make sense to get it repaired? If so, by whom?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.
May I ask:
1) The AGE of this phone system and WHEN this issue first began (or was noticed)?
2) How many TOTAL handsets do you have with this system?
3) When you replaced the batteries, did you notice any "corrosion/leakage" around the battery contacts (inside the handset)?
Also, I noticed that you mentioned "switching handsets & bases" ... does that mean that you tried putting the non-working handset in a DIFFERENT "charger" (base) AFTER you had replaced the batteries? AND did you do that for AT LEAST a few hours - to see if the handset would at least charge up the batteries?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 3 years old. Noticed the problem a month ago. Have used this system for maybe 20 calls total.
No corrosion with batteries.
2 Handsets and 2 bases.
Since the new batteries were installed I have charged several hours on just one base. I'll do that tonight on the other base.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - let me ask another question:
When you get NEW batteries - they are USUALLY charged up a "little bit", and often will make a GOOD phone operate - for at least a few minutes.
When you put in the NEW batteries, did you notice the display on the handset comes ON at all? This assumes that you checked right away, but if not - that's OK. Depending on WHERE you got the batteries, they could have started with a low charge level.
Can I assume that you are not at home right now, and can not try the charger swap at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not home. Did not see phone come on when new batteries put in
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good - that is what I thought.
So for now, let me recommend that you DOUBLE-CHECK the battery installation (for polarity) and swap over to the "other" charger for an hour or two, and see if anything CHANGES.
Also, I would recommend CHECKING the GOOD handset - when you swap it into the other charger base - and make sure that handset appears to charge. This is TESTING that this is not a charger issue (vs. handset).
I'm here most of the day (usually until about 10PM Pacific time), so if you can, log back in from home and let me know what happens with that swap.
Thanks, ***** *****