Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Am having problem with service. Line is dead with no dial

Customer Question

Am having problem with service. Line is dead with no dial tone. Anyone trying to call in receives a busy signal. Have unplugged all phones connected to my number. Do I recall from a previous similar situation that one has to wait for something to recycle before starting to plug extensions back into line to see if a specific set is causing the difficulty?
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This pertains to telephone service, not to my computer which is a cable connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since problem affects phone extensions, an attempt on your part to respond by phone will be unsuccessful. Incoming callers are receiving a busy signal.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the phone system. Additionally, who is your phone service provider please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone service provider is Verizon. I am a residential customer who lives in an apartment building with phone jack outlets in most rooms. I have no idea what the "phone system model number" might be. I had a similar phone outage perhaps 10 years ago in the same apartment with the same telephone number. At that time, if I remember correctly, a woman from the phone company had me go through the disconnect/reconnect procedure previously outlined. Something in a room downstairs had to recycle. It worked and I've had no further trouble until now.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Have you disconnected / unplugged all the phones? ...and then plug back just 1 phone (for test purposes after 15 minutes)? With just the first phone plugged back in, is there now a dial tone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there was no dial tone; therefore, I tried plugging in a different phone, but there still was no dial tone. Incidentially, Louie, we can't talk over the telephone with my line out of service.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. And the "Phone Call Request" is an automated machine generated feature. Please feel free to ignore it,Although able to call you not necessarily mean a phone conversation but more of "able to dial your number" to check; a) the busy signal and b) Verizon service status.Do you have access to another phone, say a mobile/cellular?