Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a panasonic phone, model KX-TG6821ALB it keeps ringing,

Customer Question

i have a panasonic phone, model KX-TG6821ALB it keeps ringing, with incomming call on the sceen. but no one is calling. its one long continuous ring tone and when i answer its just crackling. it happens again as son as i hang up, and happens whether its on the base or not. ive had the line checked and its not that. ive taken batteries out and unplugged everything and that didnt do anything. is there a reset button for the phone?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer, Sorry to hear of the issue you are having. May I ask:1) the AGE of this system and WHEN this issue first began?2) the TOTAL number of handsets that are in use with this system AND if more than one, do ALL the handsets do the same thing?3) What phone service provider you have for this phone line?4) If you have ANY other devices attached to this phone line (outside of the Panasonic system)? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its only a month old. 1 handset. with DODO. i have a tp-link modem connected, the phone and modem are through a splitter. since this issue, the modem wont work while the phone is pugged in. and the phone has the same problem when plugged into the wall without splitter. been happening for 2 days
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that. Did you have a DIFFERENT phone previously - that did work properly?ORDo you have a neighbor or friend nearby (with a working phone service) where you could take the Panasonic system and TEST it there?One other question: Did the service provider give you a "filter" with the system - for inserting into the phone line - at the main base unit? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no previous phone before this one, have no where else to test it unfortunately. yes, have a filter/spliter
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that. OK - not having a different phone OR location to TEST makes this a bit difficult to isolate the issue. But I will tell you that from your symptoms, it "sounds like" more of a "service issue" than a phone issue. When you mentioned that you "had the line checked", may I ask HOW that was done?That is, was everything checked remotely - through the service, OR did a service person actually come to your location and physically TEST the phone service - with their own equipment? One other thing: Is there any shop nearby where you could purchase a very basic (inexpensive) corded phone - for TESTING purposes?NOTE: I'm just looking for alternate ways to test. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the line was checked remotely. i could probably get a cheap phone and test it, but wouldnt be until tomorrow..
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that. OK - since I suspect that it may be the service itself, may I ask if the support folks from DODO had you do ANYTHING - with their equipment (modem or other devices)? I only ask because many times the types of systems can be "reset" - by removing power from ALL equipment and components, and powering them back up in one sequence. Did they have you do ANYTHING like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all they asked me to do was plug the modem straight to the wall plug, modem worked. then they asked to try the phone plugged straight to the wall, but the phone still had this same issue when i did that.but because the modem worked fine and the phone didnt, they said it was the handset
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that. Did they ask you to plug the phone straight into the wall WITH the filter inline with the phone cord? And I would be confused why they said it was "the handset" - unless they just meant "the phone" (including the base). That could just be a confusion with "terms" being used. I am also wondering if it would be worth it to try the reset I mentioned - where you disconnect power from ALL of the provider's equipment, and then plug them back in one at a time. Do you think you could try that and feel comfortable with that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, just asked the phone to be plugged to the wall without filter. yes i can try the reset
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - please try plugging in the phone WITH the filter FIRST - and see if that works. Then if you still need to do the reset, I usually recommend that the components be unplugged from ALL power (including any "backup power") for AT LEAST TWO full minutes. This gives the components a chance to "clear" any stuck conditions, and then "reload" when they are reconnected to power. Let me know what happens when you try these things. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plugging in the line with the filter didnt work.ill do the reset...is it the modem AND phone unplugged for 2 hrs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i meant minutes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Yes - 2 minutes. And it should be ONLY the service provider's equipment that needs the reset. Also, if the "noise" goes away from the phone handset WHEN the power is removed from the other parts, that may be a clue that the noise is "coming from" (or coming through) the provider's equipment. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so i did that and its still doing the same thing.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for doing that. By the way, did you TEST for that noise in the handset WHILE the other equipment was disconnected - and was it gone? We have also tried pretty much everything we can - without try a different phone or your phone in a different location. That would be the next step. But I understand if you can not do either of these steps until later (such as tomorrow). Once we can do these other TESTS - then we will KNOW if it is a phone issue or a "service" issue. And by the way, I don't know WHERE you purchased this Panasonic system, but MOST shops that sell phone system would take the system back within a short time of purchase - such as 30-60 days. So you may want to find out from the shop where you purchased this system and find out if there is such a limit - in case it becomes a phone system issue.So please let me know WHEN you can do these other TESTS - and the results - when you have them. I should be here every day this week to be able to respond. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the noise was still there when the modem was being disconnected. i bought the phone from harvey norman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think maybe it is the phone itself, because when i unplug it from the filter, leaving just the modem plugged in, the internet is fine and working.....yet when i have the phone plugged into the filter by itself or with the modem plugged in as well, the internet is fine. is there a setting on the phone that can cause this, or is there i hard reset on the phone i can do?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It could be the phone itself, and if so, hopefully Harvey Norman has a good return policy where the phone can be exchanged for a replacement system. I must be honest with you and tell you I do not know what their policy is.And the only "reset" procedure for this phone system is would be to disconnect everything (power, batteries, phone cord, adapters, etc.) and leave them disconnected for an extended period of time (like overnight). BUT, because of the "noise" this may be a hardware issue that has developed - in the MAIN base unit, and if that is the case, a long power off & full disconnect can not correct such an issue, so replacing the system with another would be the thing to do. It would of course be "nice" to TEST - and know beforehand that the phone is bad. But I understand that getting the components tested can be a challenge - and that it takes time to be sure of what is actually happening. Please take as much time as needed to TEST, and let me know the results - when you can. I'm here almost every day to help. Thanks, ***** *****