Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

The answer phone feature stopped working yesterday. Also,

Customer Question

The answer phone feature stopped working yesterday. Also, my telephone address book is inoperable. The redial feature seems to be OK. The "caller list" feature is inoperable -- when I try to check on missed calls, the entire phone becomes unresponsive.....
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.May I ask:1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?2) The AGE of this phone system and WHEN this issue first began?3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Greg....... what happened Freddie??? Oh, well, just so long as I can get my phone answer and address book working again.... My phone is Panasonic # *****=TG6440.......... all 5 phones having same problem.......
1. Issue suddenly happened yesterday sometime -- I found the problem late afternoon
2. I purchased phone 9/17/2002 has worked great all this time...
3. nothing else connected to this line...... nothing added or taken off wiring under my desk
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Did you specifically request Freddie, and would like him to try and respond?If so, just let me know. Now that I know the MODEL and AGE of your system, may I ask if the batteries in the handsets of this system have EVER been replaced (with new ones)?If so, WHEN was the last time that was done? May I also ask if there has been ANY "power issues" in your home or area recently - such as power outages, surges, wind or thunder storms? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to work with you Greg...... just never had contact with Freddie after first greeting... maybe I did something wrong??could be...... I am 84 year old grandma, so really an amateur at most of this new electronics stuff..... did you see my return messages to Freddie??also... yes, I have replaced the batteries once....... and also, we have had some brief power outages but my telephone service with AT&T is not usually affected....... none in past week.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used batteries bought at store Batteries Plus after taking in one of the old batteries....... would the phones keep working if one phone has bad batteries??? phone has no problelm sending or receiving calls..... just no messages left of missed calls, clicking on address book button will shut entire phone down..... no response when buttons pushed... click on off button and phone call, receive button is reactivated.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I get back to you... need to take about 15 minutes to handle doorbell and write check to service man
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It may also be something to do with the site here and nothing to do with you. We're in the middle of "test" here, and that could be part of the issue. As for any messages to Freddie, I did not see them - just your original post. So can you estimate WHEN those batteries were last replaced?Was it within the last year or so?I only ask because when you say you try to use a feature and it "shut entire phone down", that makes me think this may be a battery issue. And could you have noticed these symptoms (with the caller list, answering system, etc.) just this week (or yesterday) - and they could have been happening for a little while before that?I only ask because when something goes wrong with MY phones, I may not notice - until someone TELLS ME there is a problem. Get back to me whenever you can. I'm here most of the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Greg...... back now....... don't expect any further distractions.....
Yes, re: batteries....... I did replace batteries in 4 phones within the last 2 years.......
Meanwhile, I did find a 5th phone that had old batteries in it... replaced those a few minutes ago.... phone now set to re-charge for "7" hours...... I hope this will solve the problem..... should I just give this a chance to reset everything and then get back to you??? I don't want to have to pay extra for all this "wait" time...... is all of this included in the $26 fee??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem with phones until yesterday afternoon..... could not replay missed messages, address book was inoperable and all buttons on phone also inoperable.......this info given to "Freddie" ......
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi & Welcome back. I understand "delays" - things just seem to "come up" ... Let me give you the "reset procedure" that I use for MOST cordless phones. You will want to do this and then TEST as much as you can - by having some friends call, and call them back - that kind of thing.Any yes, EVERYTHING is included in your original bid price. Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.============================1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.9) Test each handset for proper function.10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).============================Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.Thanks, ***** ***** P.S. We MAY be looking at "other issues" - so let me know if the phones do NOT return to "normal" during your TESTS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get back in touch with you? Is the $18 fee in addition to the $26 ???
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Just return to this screen, and you can get right back to me.You should also have email messages (with the email you signed up with) that will get you right back here. I'm not sure what any $18 is that you are seeing, but we experts can not see your side of the conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg........ I'm getting a little screen that asks me if I want to switch to a live phone call? Then is just says there will be an amount $18 -- no further explanation.. then in "greyed out" -- "By clicking on "Call Me" the refundable amount will be processed and you Expert will be credited for the question. If current Expert is unavailable, another qualified Expert may call you." then there is just a button for me to click on saying "Call me" which I have not touched yet......
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, OK - that is the "Additional Service" button - so that would be an EXTRA fee.Unfortunately, I don't always have a phone available to make (or receive) such a call, so I would decline that additional service anyway. So we can stick with this format - if that will work for you...That also does not "rush" us to handle this during a phone call... Let me know what you think, and what happens after the reset. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Greg.... I really appreciate your being so considerate of my time and schedule..... I will try "re-setting" my phone service tomorrow and will get back to you with that report... Lots going on here, so it may be tomorrow afternoon..... and thanks for the info re: that extra service charge -- as I recall, I don't remember being offered a phone call for $18 until after I had already agreed to the $26 fee-- with no explanation about it being an extra charge.... seems like this part of your service could use a little clarification on this issue ?? So far, I am very content using our "chat" service......AT
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome.Yes, the "phone call" feature (and "Additional Services") of the site is relatively new, and I agree that it may need a clearer explanation by the site. And some of us here (like myself) don't always have access to a phone - or phone service - that we can use to make contact. Please take your time, and also be aware that this site MAY send you some "reminder" emails - as long as the question is still open. So don't let those notes alarm you - if and when they come to you.I look for your results - when you have them. Take Care, Greg A. (im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Greg...... sorry to be so late in getting back to you...... I went thru your instructions to "re-set" my phone service the next day (yesterday, July 23), and EVERYTHING CAME UP WORKING as tho nothing had happened-- didn't lose any stored information either -- what a relief!!!
I really appreciate all your good help, and request that you send thru the bill for $26.00 or contact me if you need further info from me............ If I should need future help, will I be able to request your help or otherwise contact you???
Annie in Memphis, TN ***@******.***
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Annie,
You are quite welcome and thanks for letting me know that worked for you.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question. That SHOULD process any deposit you may have made.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)