Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have voice mail through my phone company and prefer to use

Customer Question

I have voice mail through my phone company and prefer to use that.
I cannot retrieve the message through your Panasonic voice mail because I don't know the password ***** are asking for.
I have tried to remove the Panasonic voice mail but to no avail. the screen keeps reverting back to "voice mail msg. via phone co." this means the Panasonic phone because the message light from my provider is not blinking a number.
I can't get rid to this screen nor was I able to move the Panasonic voice mail.
Please provide detailed instructions on how to proceed.
I really like this phone!
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line? 5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Total of 5 phones including the main set with the answering system.
2. All of the phones are extensions - 4 of them
3. Phone company is Century Link
4. No dsl service. I have broadband with Century Link
5. KX-TG465SK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still here...where are you? I have paid $26.00 for help with this problem.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information, and my apologies for the delay. Your response has just come through, there seem to be some site glitches at the moment. If you pick up the line, and dial your own home number from the panasonic, does that get you into your voicemail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dialed my number - it only rang once and went right to the voice mail. I thought I had it set for 6 rings then go to vm
After I hung up, the phone voice mail screen came right back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be the phone company voice mail.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would be the phone company voicemail.If you are dialing your own number from the home line it isn't going to ring because the line is in use. The intent was for you to do this to access the vm server to check your messages.I just wanted to make sure it worked that way for you. We can then move on to reprogramming the panasonic accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! I'm waiting for your instructions. 8-)
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Grab a handset, and key in Menu #331clear any existing entry, save Off Then, menu#331 again, key in your full home phone number, If you usually have to enter a pin, put in a few pauses then your pin number, then save, offFrom there forward, when you press the VM key on your handset, it will speed dial you into your century link voicemail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work. I got a busy signal. Clicked off and the same voice mail msg came back on the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try one more time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You have to do the above programming steps from standby mode (not on a call, no dial tone) for the setting to save.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - tried three times and still would not work. 8-(
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure you are entering this exact sequence?PRess MENUPress #Press 3Press 3Press 1What do you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes #331
pause
uh oh, in my haste, I missed the pause...hold on...I will try again
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Make sure you enter your phone number firs, then the pauses, then your pin, still have to save, then off after this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still did not work. I clicked into the voice mail on the screen and got a busy signal and then a dial tone.
Then when I clicked off the voice mail msg screen came back on again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
But if you just pick up the line and dial your home number, it still goes to VM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it goes to my phone company voice mail. I left myself message but it did not show up on the message screen. When I hung up, the panasonic screen still shows the same voice mesh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be the message screen on the base set
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you try the programming steps, but putting in your phone number only. Skip the pauses and pin part. Then see what happens with the vm key(remember to clear current setting first, then enter just the phone number the 2nd time)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still did not work
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Please give me more detail then - as I am not there to see/hear what is happening, I have to rely on the information you provide.Tell me exactly what you've done, what you see on screen during these steps, etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*331
clear
*825290520
it then dials into my phone company voice mail.
left myself a message but it doesn't show up on the base screen
when I hang up, the handset screen still reverts back to the "voice mail msg via phone co."
I click on access and it dials my number.
When I hang up the handset screen goes back to the "voice mail msg on my phone co"
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unless you listed something wrong, you aren't using the correct processYou must press Menu#331 to access the speed dial setting, then you have to save your full 10 digit phone number. There should be no * there.If you've done that properly, you'll dial into your century link voicemail. From there, you have to actually listen to your messages, and hear/delete them. Only after they are all listened to and /or deleted will they stop showing up on the display screen. As long as there are new messages, you'll see that indication - you have to clear the messages to clear the indicator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been there, done that. have unblocked my number (*82)
Still does not work.
When I click on access it rings my number and goes to the company voice mail.
When I hang up, the screen reverts back to the same voice mail msg. instead of the date and time.
All I need is to get rid of this message screen!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would be the phone company voice mail when it rings my number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I give up. This has taken two hours of time and only causing more frustration.
Please rerun my $26.00.
Thank you for you time and patience.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
There should be no need to unblock, your'e on their network, and adding that step only confuses the system.Enter it with your full 10 digit phone number (including area code ), do not use *82 first. You cannot get rid of the message indicator on the screen until you actually listen to and delete all your waiting messages off the vm server
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I can help you disable the vm indicator entirely, but then you'll continue getting new messages and won't know they are there.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Would you like to simply disable the vm indicator system?That is an easy task, I was just wanting to help you resolve the underlying issue so that the entire system would work as intended. The choice is yours though. Regarding the fee, I have no ability to issue a refund for you, you've already been charged the full amount by the site, for which I've received nothing for my time.I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did your very best to help me and I will leave positive feedback.
I still would like my money refunded.
Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
We are extremely close to a solution here, if you want to just disable the indicator entirely. Will that work for you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
To disable, just press MENU#332up/down to select OFFthen Savethen OFF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I still have voice mail from the phone company?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this does not affect the actual service. It just stops the panasonic from constantly showing there are messages.If you want to check for messages manually, you just pick up the line and listen, if you hear a few beeps or a fast dial tone, instead of a normal dial tone, you have new messages. At that point you dial in to check them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so.
Who do I contact for a refund?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You don't think so in regards ***** *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I want to disable the entire voice mail system.
I just wanted the screen message to disappear.
Since everything has been tried, I want to know who to contact for my refund!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I called the voice mail, it goes right to my message line but there are no longer any messages.
So, I cannot delete anything to get rid of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and now I cannot leave a message so I can delete it to see if that would work!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You wouldn't be, that is what I'm trying to explain.Voicemail would continue to be active and functioning.The Menu#332, select OFF, then Save, Off simply clears off the screen message. It does not affect the century link voicemail system in any way. With all due respect, I've given you all the necessary steps several times now, there is something that isn't going through on your end. When you go into your vm, you have to enter your pin or sign in if prompted, or you won't hear the messages. Either you aren't signing in, or there is something wrong with the VM account, which is something century link has to address, neither you nor I can fix that. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. The solutions are here, you just need to follow through the steps. I've now spent the same 2+ hours working on this that you have. If you feel a refund is in order rather than working through the proposed resolutions steps, you may contact customer service to request that. Doing so leaves me working for free these past few hours in a good faith effort to help you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can't leave yourself a message by calling your own number from your home line, it doesn't record new messages that way, only changes your greeting options.If you want to do a test message you'd have to call yourself from an outside line (neighbor, cell phone, etc).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just called on my cell phone and left a message. Deleted the message and the handset screen still shows voice mail msg.
I am done. good bye.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did you actually complete the menu#332 set OFF save, off process?That prevents it from picking up new ones.To clear the existing you can press and hold the # or OFF key for 5 seconds as well.