Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I'm moving into a commercial building and want to understand

Customer Question

I'm moving into a commercial building and want to understand how the phone system works. I will be using Verizon Fios as my phone, internet and cable provider. I will have 4 separate phone numbers and have 10 desks with phones on them. Please explain from the beginning to the end. If you have a diagram that would be great.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Is there an existing phone system in place there, or is this a new build where you'll be expected to provide your own system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is an existing phone system. I dont have any problems just want more knowledge on the system

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to give you any detail without knowing at least the model of the system.In most cases though a system of this size will have a PBX, which is similar to a computer server, but for the phone system. That PBX takes the incoming lines from verizon, known as CO lines, and shares them among the individual extensions (desk stations), and typically has added functions to allow intercom between each station, call forwarding, voicemail, etc.Each desk station is wired to the pbx which acts as the central brain to switch lines and connections between them as needed.This type of system is typically configured by a phone installer (technician, usually independent, not verizon) as the more advanced settings such as the auto attendant, routing, etc are usually configured by connecting a computer with special software to the pbx. I can help you find a local tech to come out and reset the system from the prior owner and set it up for you, as you'll want to customize your greetings/messages, hours of operation, desk station layouts, etc. Just let me know your zip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told its a pbx system which can have up to 6 different lines. I would like to switch to a VOIP solution. What hardware would be needed for this to work with Verizon Fios. I would like to get possibly up to 4 different numbers.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That really depends on the existing system.If you want to simply keep the existing system, but switch to voip based connections, that is relatively easy. You'd contract with a company like vonage, ooma, 8x8, etc. THey would provide you with a DTA gateway. That is essentially a box that plugs into your fios/internet connection, then outputs as many analog phone lines as you've purchased, which would act as the incoming lines to your pbx. Now there is a completely different type of voip solution where you have actual IP based phones. This is a system like cisco or panasonic for example desk stations with large color screens on them that each individual phone connects to your wired LAN/network (and eventually on to the internet) and is served typically by a "virtual" pbx, a service offered by 8x8 as well for example. That would mean replacing all of the existing phone system in your building.