Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I just bought a new KK-TGDA20 phone system, and it works

Customer Question

I just bought a new KK-TGDA20 phone system, and it works fine. However, since it has only 4 handsets and my home needs six, Best Buy said it does not carry individual handsets so they sold me another whole system just so I could get 2 more handsets. But the 2 new handsets do not work even after I have charged them. What am I doing wrong?
Dean XXXXXX
XXX XXX XXXX
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dean & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.
May I ask the Model Number of BOTH of the MAIN BASE UNITS from the phone system you are working with?
I only ask because the model you sent is for the cordless handset(s) and chargers.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response.
The model #s of both base units are the same
***** *****man
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dean, Sorry for any delay. Can you send the Model Number of ONE of the MAIN BASE UNITS?It should START with KX-TG, and then have 3 or 4 digits after that. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I left the model #s off my reply....they are both the same: KX-TGD224N.
The S/N # ***** the base unit that works is 5ABQAO51363.
The S/N # ***** the newer Base unit that does not work is 5BBQAO56475.
Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't mind paying more if a phone call will work better.
Iam at my desk waiting to solve this problem with your help.
***** *****man(###) ###-####
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - first, let me send you a link to the electronic (PDF) version of the FULL manual for this system - just in case all you have is a "quick guide" that came in the package.
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/telephone/om/kx-tgd21x_kx-tgd22x_kx-tg443_kx-tg444_mul_om.pdf
In that manual, on page 27, there are details about "Registering a unit" (a handset) AND how to "Deregister a handset. These are the things that you will have to do to get the extra two handsets working with the first base unit.
Let me explain a bit ...
When the systems are sold, the handsets are "registered" to the main base unit of the system that is in the package. This is so that you can charge up the handsets, connect the system to the phone line, and then they are ready to go.
BUT, the second system you got has those handsets registered to the base that came in that package. SO ... to "move" those handsets to the first base unit, you will need to "deregister" those two handsets from the base they came with, and then register them to the first base. Does that make sense?
So what you can do is the steps shown under "Deregistering a handset" (on page 27) using the two "extra" handsets. When that is successful, those handsets SHOULD show a message on their display that they need to be registered. Once that happens, then do the steps on page 27 (bottom left column) to "register a handset to the base unit".
NOTE: You should also see the note in the manual that the TOTAL number of handset that can be registered to a single base unit is SIX (6).
I also have a link to a video that shows how to REGISTER a NEW handset - so you know what to expect for that process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qdGoB5Hc4
I hope this all makes sense and helps. Please let me know if you have any trouble moving these handsets to the new base unit.
Thanks, ***** *****