Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I cannot a a dial tone. When I dial a number and press the

Customer Question

I cannot a a dial tone. When I dial a number and press the talk button the "line in use" shows and elapsed time shows but i never get an answer and I never heard a dial tone. Checked al connections and pulled power cord and re-plugged it. What can possibly be wrong? I have a KX-TG385SK
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line? 5) If you call yourself from an outside line or cell phone, what happens? Rings endlessly, busy signal, straight to voicemail, rings through to panasonic, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. YES
2. A FAX
3. LANDLINE FROM CABLE COMPANY
4. NO
5. STRAIGHT TO VOICEMAIL
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you test the fax and tell me if that gets a dial tone? Then as a next step, can you please unplug the phone line to the panasonic base and try to call again from an outside line and tell me what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO DIAL TONE ON FAX. GOES STRAIGHT TO VOICEMAIL WHEN CALLING IN WITH PHONE LINE TO BASE IS UNPLUGGED. I HAVE TO LEAVE HOME IN 7 MINUTES, CAN WE HURRY THIS UP?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, your reply just came through.If it still goes straight to vm, even with the phone unplugged, it looks like a line fault. Can you unplug the fax as well, and try once more.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you still go direct to VM there, then it means there is a line fault. That is not something you can resolve yourself, it is a defect in the phone company equipment. They will have to send a tech out to diagnose and repair the equipment on their end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW AND CANNOT WORK ON THIS ANYMORE.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thats fine, you can bookmark/favorite this conversation to get back to me later whenever it is convenient for you to do so.