Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

My phone shows "Line in Use" and I cannot access voice mai

Customer Question

My phone shows "Line in Use" and I cannot access voice mail
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panasonic KX-TGC210
AT&T
NO
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - can you tell me if you can get a dial tone when you pick up a handset and press the TALK button (I assume not)?
Also, is this an old style (analog) service from AT&T, or is it part of package with their U-verse system?
One more thing: Do you have access to a different phone line (such as a cell phone or neighbor/friend's phone) that you can use to place a TEST CALL to your AT&T number?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dial tone
Assume old; not sure
I can leave voice mail.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - can I assume that you CAN make a TEST CALL to your AT&T line?
AND
That when you do that, it switches IMMEDIATELY to the voice mail system (with little or no rings)?
If so, then we will want to take the "next step" and physically disconnect the phone cord from the phone jack in the wall, and leave it disconnected. If you do have ANY other devices attached to the phone line (such as alarm systems, computers, etc.), then those should be disconnected too.
Then WAIT AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES, and place a NEW TEST CALL to the AT&T number (all device should STILL be disconnected).
What we are doing is TESTING - to see if ANY device in your home is "hanging" the phone line in a "busy" (or in use) state.
Please give that a try and let me know EXACTLY what happens.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will try in 5'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it and no change
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - can you tell me if the TEST CALL goes DIRECTLY to voice mail, or if there is any ringing or anything beforehand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directly to vm; and that is fine. We don't typically accept calls to the landline and have the ringer muted.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
Sorry for any delay.
OK - IF everything was (and still is) disconnected from the phone lines
AND the call goes directly to voice mail
AND you still have a "line in use" when you reconnect the base unit of the Panasonic to the phone line
That tells us that this is a phone SERVICE (phone line) issue.
That means that you will want to contact your service provider and have them look into the issue as soon as you can. I have the main contact number I use for AT&T below, and you will want to get into contact with "technical support" (available 24 hours a day) to report this. You will of course need to use a different phone to make the call.
ATT Customer Support : 1(###) ###-####
Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Just want to sure to state that I do not want a monthly service.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.
From what I can tell, you do NOT have any monthly service set up here.
Please let me know if you have any other questions related to the phone line issue.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)