Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I installed my replacement OOMA Device this a.m. The purple

Customer Question

I installed my replacement OOMA Device this a.m. The purple light came on ! the phone worked !! I was happy. A bit later I went to access the internet and was not able to do so.
Ran the IE help stuff and was able to get back online. BUT then my OOMA phone system did not work. I called OOMA and followed instructions re re-booting but still blinking red.
Checked every single plug in. I so hope that you can help me.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I take it that this Ooma device is a replacement because the previous one had problems, and those problems were at least somewhat similar to the current problem.
I suspect that your problem is with your internet service, which the Ooma device uses.
Is your internet, to your PC, wireless? if so, and if you have no wireless encryption key enabled on your WiFi router, your connection may be being hacked, possibly, or otherwise disrupted.
If your internet is not wireless, then you may need to restart the internet altogether, in this manner:
1. you have a modem, then you have a router box, unless your service combines both modem and router.
2. check the lights on you modem, see if they indicate an OK internet status. Whether or not, proceed with these instructions.
3. turn Off or unplug from the power, the modem, and the router also. Do not press a switch on the router - to turn it Off, unplug it.
4. leave them that way, unplugged, for at least 4 or 5 minutes.
5. at the end of that interval, plug in the modem, turn just the modem On.
6. wait 2 minutes or more, for the modem to initialize.
7. then plug in the power to the WiFi router box, and wait 2 minutes more, for it to initialize.
8. then see if your Ooma box works again.
If this procedure restores operation, even briefly, to both the Ooma phone service and your computer's internet, then you may have an unreliable modem, or an unreliable router box. (If they are both in one box, a modem-router, then that box may be unreliable.) Unreliable network boxes should be replaced... I have personal experience of this, having owned a cable modem that was often flaky and gradually got worse until it wouldn't work at all in summer without an auxiliary fan directed into it.
If this procedure does *not* restore Ooma (& the computer's internet) service, then let me know what happened, at this point, and I will advise you further.