Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Phone kx-tg6541 line didn't clear after using the flash button

Customer Question

phone kx-tg6541 line didn't clear after using the flash button people can.t call in. but we can call out when there is a call. phone doesn't ring but shows line in use on hand set how do we clear
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask what phone service provider you have for this phone line?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at&t

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - would that be the "digital" phone service - such a U-verse, or is it the older "analog" type service?

Also, can you verify that you have "Call Waiting" - where you can use the FLASH button to switch from one caller to another?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

u-verse

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.

So can you CONFIRM that you DO have "Call Waiting"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

phone bill says we do

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.

OK - let's see if we can "clear the lines" - so to speak.

First a bit of explaination:
MOST CALLS when using the Call Waiting feature will "time out" of about 5-10 minutes - IF you had actually switched to a second call - during a first conversation.

So with that information, what I would like you to do is DISCONNECT ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your home, and leave them disconnected for AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES (10 is better).

AND during that time, if you have access to a DIFFERENT phone line (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone), call your AT&T number - to see if the call rings (in the calling phone) or if it immediately goes to a "voice mail" system.
If it does go to voice mail, simply leave a TEST MESSAGE, then hang up.

NOTE: This "incoming call" will help to "clear" any call that may be "on hold".

Now, after the WAIT, reconnect ONE phone (the Panasonic base unit) and REPEAT the TEST CALL - to see if the phone that is now reconnected rings, and if you can pick up that call.

I hope that is clear and makes sense. Please let me know the results - when you can.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

during this trouble, you can't leave a message. doesn't click over..........it has been over 10 min. called no ring, lights up, didn't go to voice mail, shows line in use...............no change

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - that sounds a bit more "severe" of a hang than the typical 2-lines active at the same time.

This may take a call to AT&T Tech support, but you can TRY a power cycle of the "Gateway" (box) first - if you want to.

That is done by disconnecting power from the Gateway (including any backup power device), and leaving it disconnected for TWO MINUTES. Then reconnect the power and allow the Gateway to boot up again (usually takes a minute or so).

That will often clear these typical hangs, but if you need to contact tech support (available 24 hours), I have the contact number I use to reach them below.
NOTE: This is a MAIN number, and you will want to select the "technical support" (or report a problem) option when you reach the menu.

ATT Customer Support : 1(###) ###-####br/>
Please let me know if you want to try the power cycle, the results if you do, or if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the power cycle didn't work ......what about the $26.00 and no change on the problem? excellent service is our goal , but what if you can't help

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Have you contacted AT&T technical support yet - to see if they can detect the issue and perhaps clear it up?
That is the "next step" in the troubleshooting process.

And we expert's here have no access to any deposit or charges that you may have encountered. If you have any questions about that kind of thing, you will need to contact customer service with those. The link below may help too.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

If you need that contact number again, I have pasted below. There should be a Technical Support person available 24 hours a day - every day.

Please let me know what is found or if you have more questions about this issue.

Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)