Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have two cordless phones and the message when my number is

Customer Question

I have two cordless phones and the message when my number is ***** that the phone is in use and not available at this time. I don't know how to correct this problem. Please help.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VTech Phones Dect 6.0
comcast
I have a wall phone connected to Comcast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone is blinking red "Line in use"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - the FIRST thing we need to do to try and correct this issue is:
1) DISCONNECT ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your home.
2) WAIT AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES.
3) Then - with ALL devices still disconnected, place a TEST CALL to your Comcast number from an OUTSIDE phone (cell phone, neighbor's phone, etc.)
4) Listen in the calling phone and see if the "not available" message is gone.
NOTE: When disconnecting ALL devices from ALL jacks, please make sure you check ALL ROOMS (or other spaces) in your home - so you don't miss any devices that may still be connected.
Please let me know EXACTLY what you hear when you place this TEST call.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a neighbor call from his cell phone to comcast 617 782 6772 number and the phone rings and then says the call has been forwarded to an automated voicemessage and is not available at the tone please leave youir message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please give a phone number for support?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for doing that TEST for me.
So far so good - IF everything was disconnected at the time of the TEST call.
The NEXT STEP is reconnect ONE of the phones (wall phone OR the BASE UNIT of the cordless phone), CHECK for a DIAL TONE, and if you get the dial tone, hang up that phone and REPEAT the TEST CALL.
If all goes well, the reconnected phone SHOULD ring, and you should be able to answer the call and talk to the caller.
Please let me know if that is what happens, but if something else happens.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to wait a day, can I please speak to someone now?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You don't need to wait a day - I'm here now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I call you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a 81 year old women, please call me to walk me through this.Thanks,
Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** am her grandson. How can we call you?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ryan,
I can't offer a phone call right now, as I don't have a direct line available.
But can we continue with the troubleshooting process?
If so, may I ask if YOU have a cell phone - that you can use to place the TEST CALL mentioned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good.
What we HAD DONE is disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone jacks, and placed a TEST CALL - and "ringing" was heard in the calling TEST phone.
Then I ask if ONE home phone could be reconnected to the phone line, and the TEST CALL repeated.
Can you do that - and make the TEST CALL with your cell phone?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I discoonected all phone and am calling now. The phone is ringing but then goes to VM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected one of the phones and its saying "No line" on the hand set screen.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - how many RINGS happen - before the switch to Voice Mail?
And one other question: Does your grandmother's Comcast service have the "Feature" where the Caller ID is shown on the TV screen - when a call comes in?
If so, please switch on the TV and WATCH the screen when you place that TEST CALL.
What we are doing is TESTING to see if the call in being "switched" to your home lines (or not).
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 to 5 rings before going to VM. Yes, she has that feature. I just tried it and it does go through on the TV.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - If you see YOUR caller ID on the TV BUT the phone is not ringing OR giving you a dial tone, that tells us that there is a "switching problem" with the Comcast Service OR equipment.
Now different Comcast cities have different connections schemes, but MOST Comcast services comes with a "Gateway" box - where the cable connects, then there are connections for the phone, TV, internet, etc.
Do you know if your Grandmother has such a Gateway box? They are usually LARGER components and have LOTS of lights on the front, and all the cable & cord connections in the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see where she has this type of box. I have taken the p hone number and will try calling and talking on the phone to a tech with VTech. I have to go to work and don't have time to go any further with you. thanks for trying to help with this problem.I will deal with it tomorrow or my grandmother will.Ryan
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I do NOT think it is a problem with the Vtech system - or ANY phone that may be connected in the home.
I believe it is an issue with the COMCAST SERVICE or EQUIPMENT.
The reason I had you looks for the Gateway (box), is so that you (or your grandmother) can try to "power cycle" the box (OFF for 2 full minutes, then back ON), and see if that restores service (it often does).
It that does NOT work - to at least get the dial tone back, then it would be time to contact the TECHNICAL SUPPORT folks at Comcast - and have the use their remote tools to reset the service or otherwise detect any issue that could be happening - with their equipment. I have their contact information below, and they SHOULD be available 24 hours a day - every day.
1-800-COMCAST
1(###) ###-####
1-800-XFINITY
1.***-***-****
Chat: https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/
If you get this note, please try to get in contact with the Technical Support folks as soon as you can.
I hope this helps. Please let me know your results or if you have more questions or symptoms to report.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)