Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

My Panasonic base phone tells me another phone is on line.

Customer Question

my Panasonic base phone tells me another phone is on line. I have done everything to disconnect any possible phone connection, but I cannot get a dial tone.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) The AGE of this phone system and WHEN this issue first began?
4) Do you have a different phone line (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone) you can use to TEST exactly what is heard when someone calls?
5) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kx-tg4771, frontier,about3yrs., problem just started this morning, I have tried other phone lines, no help. My computer worksfine, it is connected to the same frontier phone line.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
When you say "I have tried other phone lines", may I ask what that means?
If you have different phone line - such as a cell phone - can you place a TEST CALL to your landline number - and let me know EXACTLY what you hear - IN THE CALLING PHONE?
Possible results:
- BUSY signal
- Call goes immediately to voice mail
- call rings endlessly (more than 10 times).
- call is picked up after 4-5 rings.
- something else.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I'm not able to offer a live call at this time. May I ask if you are able to place a TEST CALL to your landline number - from a cell phone or neighbor's phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the land line will not give me a dial tone it shows that another line is in effect. Ihve tried othe phone line outlets in my house, they are all frontier phone service, the are all operational but the phone base shows there is already a phone on line and no
no dial tone comes up.
I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to call my land line with my cell but only a busy signal.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I understand. The Panasonic system - when is says "line in use" - is telling us that it "thinks" the line is in use by some other device or phone.
And thanks for letting me know that you made that TEST CALL and that is what you heard (busy).
So the next step is to DISCONNECT ALL devices from all PHONE JACKS in your home, and then WAIT FIVE MINUTES.
Note: I suspect your computer is really connected to a "network" connection (and not the phone line), so you should not have to disconnect the computer, but let me know if that is not the case.
Now AFTER the FIVE MINUTE WAIT - and WHILE EVERYTHING is still disconnected from the phone lines, please REPEAT the TEST CALL - and let me know if the BUSY signal has gone away.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all of thes opperations but know help
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have ALL the devices disconnected from the phone line right NOW AND have had them disconnected for at least 5 minutes?
What this does is TEST to see if ANY device that WAS connected is keeping the phone line busy.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have a link to a video (from Frontier) that shows how you can TEST your phone service coming from them. Please take a look and see if you can do such a TEST.
NOTE: The main contact number for Frontier is also including in the video, and contacting them would be the next step - if you find that you STILL get the BUSY signal when ALL Devices are disconnected from the phone line. But I will include the main contact number below.
Frontier Phone - Technical Support & Repair
1-***-***-****
Contact Center Hours of Operation: 24/7
Video Link below.
https://vimeo.com/82418597
Please let me know if you can do this TEST, or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I now have just static noise with a note line in use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it says I have voice mail
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - that DOES SOUND like some kind of phone line issue. May I ask if you have had ANY "weather" in your area (wind, rain, etc.)?
I only ask because those are the MOST COMMON causes of such issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at this tme, I already called the phone co., no problems with my area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the message is line in use and new voice mail, that says there is a problem in the phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - did you JUST CALL the phone company support folks - using the number I give you above?
And if so, did you TALK TO a person about your specific conditions - for your phone line - and have them TEST your phone line?
And were you able to do the TEST that was shown in the video?
And the Line in use and New voice mail COULD be either the phone OR the phone line. TESTING will let us know which is the case.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
NOTE: A relatively QUICK TEST is to take the phone (base and one handset) to a DIFFERENT location (friend or neighbor's home) with a WORKING phone line and connect it there.
If the problems are still there - with a KNOWN GOOD phone line - then that would prove it is the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had done all of your rec's before I called you; I know the phone line are good and I am not going to neighbors for a test,. I thought calling you would get into the programming in the phone to eliminate the confusions, but I guess you cant do that. Now my cell keeps giving me the same message every few minutes from you. I guess I am going to stop any payment too you since no help was afforded. And please stop the message to my cell. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm NOT sending any information to your cell phone, or any phone for that matter.
I am (of course) not aware of anything that was tried BEFORE you posted your question here, but to resolve this issue we MUST TEST - in a controlled way - one thing at a time.
As it stands right now, and based on the symptoms you have told me (no dial tone at first, and NOW you are getting NOISES and other messages on the display), it sounds to me like the issue is with the PHONE SERVICE - from Frontier.
And it sounds like the problem is CHANGING - as we work on this. That tells me that perhaps the Frontier folks ARE "working on this" (or their network) in your area.
So I still recommend that you contact the support folks AGAIN (if needed) and make sure you speak to a human and have the TEST your phone line. They should be able to do that while you are on the line with them (from your cell phone).
Please let me know what they tell you when you place this NEW call to the support folks.
Thanks, ***** *****