Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am not in the office, but evidently from hearing the

Customer Question

I am not in the office, but evidently from hearing the voice mail message, it is a Partner Mail VS. Ext. 10, which nobody uses, is apparently the "main" extension on which the phones were set up. When they go into that extension via the ext# ***** password ***** it, they can change the greeting message for that extension. However, that is not the "main" greeting one receives if you call and there is nobody to pick up the call at any extension. I'm at a loss how to change this main greeting, which I would assume would be on what you refer to as the call cover extension.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The 'Main Greeting' is often determined by either the voicemail system box used, or the phone system box used... I am assuming you have a phone system box. Such settings are administered by either the phone system administrator, or the voicemail system administrator... if there is a separate voicemail administrator who is *not* the phone system administrator.
As for the 'call cover extension'... it depends greatly upon
A. what phone system box (by maker and model #) you have, and
B. what settings are used on it.
And both of those together vary, perhaps, to such an extent that I cannot give even generalized advice on the matter at this point.
If you have the phone system box's administrator password ***** passcode, you ought to be able to log into it, from a phone station in the phone system box's network (in the office) and choose to re-record the Main Greeting.
For further information, please find out and let me know, what the
maker
and
model number
of the phone system box (not any of the phone stations, which do not determine much about the phone system's central functions), which ought to be in a closet or a back room, and can be told because (even if through a multiplexer or similar box) all the phone lines go to it and through it to the outside line.