Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

My panasonic is not picking up messages and now I have call

Customer Question

My panasonic is not picking up messages and now I have call waiting too which I have never had before. The model is:kx-tge260
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The AGE of this phone system and WHEN this issue first began?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have a different phone line (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone) you can use to TEST exactly what is heard when someone calls?
4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. System is about a year old and this issue began about a week ago.

2. FIOS

3. When my neighbor called she heard the recorded message and thought she was leaving a message but nothing had come through. I have had many complaints this week.

4. The fax machine is connected to this phone system but has a different number.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - can you do a QUICK TEST for me?
That TEST is to either TURN OFF the answering system and REPEAT the TEST CALL (from a cell or have a friend call you), and let the call ring. When it does ring, please COUNT THE RINGS that happen before the ringing stops.
Also, if your friend is placing the call, please have them NOTE the number of rings THEY HEAR, the EXACT Greeting they hear, and if they CAN TRY to leave you a message.
Let me know if you can do that TEST, and the results - if you can.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It rings five times on both sides before being picked up. The message heard is: "This is Linda VanCouvering. Leave me a message. Message attempted but not picked up by system.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for TESTING that for me.
OK - if you (or your friend) heard that greeting - with the ANSWERING SYSTEM turned OFF in the Panasonic - then we MUST conclude that there is some "other system" taking the calls.
Now this could be a DIFFERENT answering system somewhere in your home, which MAY be built into the FAX or another phone that has become active (perhaps in a room that is seldom used?).
It could also be a "Voice Mail" system - from your service provider. This is actually what I suspect, since you mentioned that you also now seem to have "Call Waiting". It is not uncommon for service providers to simply "switch ON" certain "features" of a phone service - such as Voice Mail and Call Waiting - ANY TIME there is a CHANGE in your service "package".
So what I would recommend now is to:
1) Double-check around your home - to make sure there are NO OTHER devices that may be taking the calls.
2) Contact your service provider's "Technical Support" folks (as they should be available 24 hours a day - even on weekends), and VERIFY what "services" are turned ON for your phone service. The support contact phone number should be shown on any phone bill you may have.
Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)