Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a KX-TG4772CB base unit and the option to ADD or EDIT

Customer Question

I have a KX-TG4772CB base unit and the option to ADD or EDIT phonebook entries is not displayed. I can ADD or EDIT phonebook entries on the coreless handsets. How can I transfer the directory from my cordless handset to the base unit or other cordless handsets?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A manual for a device in the Panasonic KX-TG series of cordless phones, states what I thought likely when I thought about your question: that Address Books are stored separately in each cordless phone handset (and in the base unit, supposedly - at least for that model.

If there is no option to Add or Edit phonebook entries in your base station for the phones, then there is no phonebook in the base station, and you cannot (therefore) transfer phonebook entries or phonebooks into the base station by any means. It seems there is no memory space there for phonebook entries.

(Of course, try turning Off the cordless handsets, first, before trying to add a phonebook entry on and with the base station only. And, consult your manual. I regret being unable to access Panasonic's copy of the manual for your exact phone model... their support site seems to be down as far as FAQs and the manual for that model are concerned, at least at present.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Russell,

I'd say the base unit seems to have memory because any call that comes in can be save to the phone book, but there is no way after saving it to edit it. Nor can I manually add new entries. The manual says to add using the ADD option or edit using the EDIT option, but these options don't seem to be available for some reason. However I can add and edit the phone book on the cordless handset. Hence why I was asking about how to transfer the phonebook from the cordless handset to the base unit.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
How do you save an incoming call, to the base station? or, how is it saved?

(I was unable to find documentation available to me for your exact model, so I have to ask about some specific details, unfortunately.)

Does the manual (again, I was unable to obtain one for your exact model) say that you ADD on the base station? or does it just say "call comes in, press ADD control to add to phonebook" or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you go into CID each entry has three options (Erase, Edit or Save). The Erase or Save are just what you would expect, however the Edit only lets to toggle between the number as it came in, removing the area code or adding a 1 in front of the number. After you have made any of the three changes allowed and then Save the entry, it then shows up in the phonebook. But once again, even though the manual says there should be an Edit option displayed when to are view an entry in the phonebook; it's not there.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, as I understand it, the base station should have an Edit option at that point, according to the manual. Good so far.

But: What options *does* the base station have, at that point?

And: If the base station can list phone numbers (address-book or phone-book style), then:

When you Edit a number on the handset, does

A. the other handset show that change too?

B. the base station show that change too?

or

C. neither other handset nor base station show that change in that number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Handsets only show and allow editing of what is in their memory locally. I you want to add a new contact/number; you have to do it on each handset. As far as the base station; there is no Add, no Edit while in the address book.

PS - the manual for the base station (KX-TG4771 is the same as 4772 except it has two handsets with it) is online at Panasonic Canada Support http://www.panasonic.ca/english/support/operatinginstructions/Results.asp

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then it seems there is no address book on the base station. The controls being absent is a pretty sure sign of that, all told, if the address book functions are individual to each discrete device. Also, if the address book functions are individual to each handset and local to each handset, that indicates there is no 'central' address book, i.e. no address book on the central device, the base station.

This is unfortunate, and I feel regret that I could not find a better conclusion. (Thank you for the reference to the manual at Panasonic Canada.)