Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a Polycom VVX 500 POE and Im using it residential

Customer Question

I have a Polycom VVX 500 POE and Im using it for my residential home office. My Internet provider is Charter.Com (Cable Modem). I have the unit hooked in to a NetGear Powerline 1200 and I have a Dial Tone. My problem is that I can't dial out.
Charter Tech support states that any VOIP phone should work as the customer data (my phone number with Charter Phone Service) is loaded on the Cable Modem (Motorola from Charter). Polycom is useless and points me to the company where I purchased the phone after Polycom stated all I needed was a ok from Charter that they support SIP. Which they do. Can this phone work with Charter?
The Dial Tone is there. Packets are moving. But when I dial any number it times out with fast busy signals.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
This is usually the result of a firewall issue.
Try going into your router setup and disable RTSP/ALG in the security/firewall settings.
Alternately if that doesn't help, or if your router doesn't have this option, you can assign a DMZ port to the polycom. Either should get you around the problem.
Let me know if that helps,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,