Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

We cannot stop the voice mail lite from blinking on the handset

Customer Question

We cannot stop the voice mail lite from blinking on the handset base display. Model DSS
It appears I can neither answer it or delete it ?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
What is the full model number of your phone system please?
This should be printed on the main base station, there will be more to it than just dss.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AT&T Models EL522250 &E2717B

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming.Please do a quick test for me:Pick up the phone, press on/talk, and listen for the dial tone. Do you hear a normal dial tone, or is it a fast tone or preceded by a few beeps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the fast dial tone followed by a steady tone or hum.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. That tone means that there are actual new voicemail messages waiting. The phone company provides that voicemail service.To clear the light, you need to dial in to the voicemail server to actually listen to and/or delete those messages.In most cases you can dial *98 or your home number, from the home line, and that will put you into the VM menu. While it is possible to just disable the VM indicator light, that is dangerous because you'll still have messages waiting and continue to get new ones that you would miss out on.