Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have just purchased Panasonic land line phone, after I have

Customer Question

I have just purchased Panasonic land line phone, after I have installed the batteries and plug the main and secondary hand held phone and charged the phone, I cannot use it. No dial tone and the phone says line in use.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? (that model should be printed on the bottom of the MAIN BASE UNIT)
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model # ***** Verizon phone service, no other devices
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
May I ask if you can CONFIRM the model of your system?
I only ask because there appears to be en extra digit in the model, and I just want to be sure I have the right model.
Also, do you still have an old phone - that WAS connected to the phone line - that you can connect and TEST with - to see if you can get a dial tone?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model # ***** N, yes I have the old phone, but it shows the same as the new phone Line in use. I could not find out from GE Co. what was wrong with it, so I purchased a new system.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that confirmed model number.
So is the OLD PHONE a GE Cordless system?
If so, does it also have a display, and if so, does is also show something like "line in use"?
Let me also ask if you have a DIFFERENT phone line available (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone) that can be used to place a TEST CALL to your home number?
The idea is to TEST what is heard when someone tries to call.
May I also ask WHEN this issue first began AND if you have had ANY "weather events" in your area about the same time?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have a cell phone tel # *****(###) ###-#### ***** you call my home phone you will get a busy signal. The issue started Wed. 5/27/15. called someone on the hand held unit left a message, Ididn't realize any thing was wrong until I went upstairs and noticed the phone showed busy.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - if there is a BUSY signal when someone tries to call from an outside line AND you are seeing the "line in use" - that is really telling us the same thing.
This is because the Panasonic system "detects" what it thinks is the line being used.
So may I ask if you have ANY other devices attached to ANY other phone jacks in your home?
AND, has there been any "weather events" (storms and such) OR any power issues in or around your home - about the same time this began?
Also, has there been and "remodeling" or other construction type working going on?
I only ask these questions because it is starting to sound like a phone SERVICE issue (vs. the phone itself).
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
answer to all your questions is No. I have called Verizon about my problem they have checked my line it in OK
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that in formation.
May I ask if when Verizon checked to the line, did THEY detect that the line was "in use" or "busy"?
And did they have you DO anything when they did the checking?
For example, did they have you disconnect anything (like the old phone) and then TEST the line again, and then say it was "good" (working)?
I only ask so I don't repeat any tests that may have already been done.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The checked the line only. I did not disconnect anything for them. I have disconnected the phones on my own
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - as you may be able to tell, I believe in TESTING - to find the real issue and possible solution.
So may I ask if you can DISCONNECT ALL DEVICES from ALL PHONE JACKS in your home?
I would even like you to check ALL ROOMS in your home to MAKE SURE that there are no devices connected to any phone jack that may be in a room that is not used very often (spare room, basement, etc.).
Then, after EVERYTHING has been disconnected for 5 minutes - and REMAINS disconnected - place a new TEST CALL from your cell phone to your home line - and let me know if you still get a BUSY signal or not.
The key of this TEST is to make sure ALL devices are disconnected and remain disconnected.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will do that
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.
And please don't bother reconnecting anything - until we can get rid of the BUSY signal when the TEST CALL is placed.
I look forward to your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the home phone rang
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - can you tell me if that was with EVERYTHING disconnected?
If so - that is a "good sign" that the line (service) is OK.
The next steps is to RECONNECT ONLY ONE device to ONE phone jack.
I would suggest connecting the Panasonic Main Base Unit to the phone line. WAIT for about 30 seconds (for the base to make its initial connection), and then pick up one of the handsets and pressing the TALK button - to TEST for a dial tone.
Please let me know if that works for you.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that works
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good - it sounds like you may be all set.
BUT, I would place a TEST CALL or two - to a friend and have them call you back - just to make sure everything is OK now.
And it may not be a bad idea to TEST the old phone system too. Just in case it still works, you could keep it as a "backup" phone, or perhaps donate it to a local charity or thrift store.
Please let me know if you have any more questions or symptoms to report.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome & I'm glad I could help.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.
You SHOULD see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that,
but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)