Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Panasonic kxtg7733. Someone left a screeching noise

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic kxtg7733. Someone left a screeching noise after my greeting. I have tried erasing, redoing my greeting, changing to auto greeting--nothing helps. Pls advise.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, who is your phone service provider please? A possibility to consider is that the phone company's VoiceMail feature is overriding the Panasonic's buiult-in Answering System.Have you tried? - temporarily disconnect the Panasonic base unit connection to the telephone wall outlet (and even its AC power adapter). Using another phone or even a mobile, call the Panasonic's number. Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem still exists. I think it was a deliberate prank as I was getting too many solicitation calls and started monitoring my phone calls. Someone appears to have corrupted the reply part of my greeting. I have not been able to delete it.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Who is your phone service provider please.
Was the Panasonic base unit disconnected from the telephone line/outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My provider is Mediacom. Yes. I disconnected from outlet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My provider is Mediacom. I disconnected from outlet. The person trying to leave a msg is overridden by this horrible noise.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
With the base unit disconnected, then the noise is not coming from the Panasonic's built-in Answering System. It is recorded in the Mediacom's servers.
Please try bringing this to the attention of Mediacom. ...or even disable the VoiceMail from their server.
A test; re-connect back the Panasonic base unit. Using the Panasonic handset, dial your own number. Work on the prompts/options change/setup/record (new) greeting, increase number of rings or disable completely.
To your preference, disabling the MediaCom's VoiceMail feature would enable the Panasonic's built-in Answering System to do the answering of calls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My greeting is intact, but the reply to the greeting is messed up with the noise. To my knowledge, I don't have voicemail. The auto greeting to which I referred is built into the Panasonic phone, but I will contact Mediacom as you suggest.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Please try calling 1-***-***-**** or the number provided by MediaCom in their communications with you.
Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.
Please post back how things turned up and/or should additional information be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I will post back.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the update now and again later when able.
Cheers.