TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years repairing home equipment
26807325

Just moved into a house. Did some painting in the bedrooms

Customer Question

Just moved into a house. Did some painting in the bedrooms before move-in, and I was a complete moron and took apart the phone jack face plates and did not rewire anything correctly because I just wanted to change faceplates and would not need access to them... Until I remembered my internet modem would need to be plugged in. Now, I cannot get Internet service throughout any of the jacks in the house. I plugged the modem into the NID test Jack outside and I get Internet just fine. I know now this is a wiring issue on my end, likely from me tampering with the jacks. What is confusing me, is that the only two wires attached in the NID are the red and green wires. The yellow, black, and all the matching color pairs (white/blue, etc) are not connected and don't look like they have ever been connected as they haven't been spliced. Yet, all of these colored pairs were previously attached to the phone jacks throughout the house. How in the world do I go about hooking these jacks back up correctly so I can get Internet access? If the color combos are not attached at the NID box do I even need to attach them to anything within the outlets?
HELP!!!
Edit: all my jacks are dual outlet 4-pin style Ethernet jacks. I have 8combo wires in each outlet (green,blue,orange,brown and matching pairs)
Pictures of NID
http://tinypic.com/r/e6evlx/8
http://tinypic.com/r/23w6wbd/8
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Can you post a photo of one of the interior jacks that you rewired?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the only outlet that I did not touch or mess with. I took off the face plate as a reference guide. But to me, it doesn't even look like this is put together correctly, so I have no idea if the jacks were or were not working prior to me moving into the home. http://tinypic.com/r/rj1unk/8
One jack I rewired... Although this was originally behind a dual Jack face plate, only one set of wires was used, with the others being bundled as you can see. http://tinypic.com/r/34eqe75/8
Another Jack I put back together: this is 1 of 2. http://tinypic.com/r/hv2jut/8
2 of 2: http://tinypic.com/r/2eyxpiu/8
Sorry if these pictures are great quality. Again, I don't know if these jacks ever worked before hand or not, although I would assume they did. But when I compare these two diagrams I find online, I don't believe they are wired correctly. Any thoughts??
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It appears the blue pair (blue and blue/white) was used on the interior cabling. That's pretty standard.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell whether or not you did anything with the factory wires on the jack plate. But if you can put the blue pair from the wall on the red and green on the jack plate... blue to green, and blue/white to red, that may get you a usable jack. If not, trade the positions of the blue and the blue/white. There may be a polarity involved here. Please let me know if that makes any difference.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I should mention that initially, I would not have any other wires from the wall connected to the jacks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that in the next few minutes and get back to you. Thanks. Yes, I didn't think any of the other wire should be connected either, especially seeing that there is only one pair of wires connected at the NID. It definitely looks as though only one line has been set up, so I am not sure of the need of all the other wires.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I need to sign off to attend church. I should be back in a couple of hours or so, and I'll check for your reply then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have confirmed on the jacks but I have not tampered with that the previous wiring in the house had the blue wire attached to the red house wire, and the blue/white wire attached to green. This was the set up on all the checks that I did not tamper with.
I reconfigured all of the other jacks to mimic the same set up, and I'm still getting no signal throughoutany of the jacks.
One question I have is, the new face plates that I bought and I'm now using look to have built-in house wires red green yellow black. See the attached picture below, is this true? Otherwise, I have not installed any actual house wires into these jacks. So if they do not come with any wires preinstalled, then this may be my hangup. Also, is it true that if there is a break in the system that none of the jacks will work? In other words, do I need to go through each Jack one by one and make them look like the same set up before testing any of them? Or can I just stick to one Jack and make all the changes and keep testing it over and over? I am asking because on one of the jacks I tried to switch the blue and the blue white wire for polarity reasons, but it made no difference. But I did not go through the entire house and make this change and then check.
Picture of new Jack: http://tinypic.com/r/21lv18h/8
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I looked at your most recent photo. I would take the orange and orange/white pair off of the jack. Then, look at the back of the jack and tell me the colors of the factory wires. Your blue and blue/white pair should terminate on the posts that have red and green wires, with one wire going to each post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, the orange and orange white wires are all removed now. This is my stumping point though. When looking at the back of the Jack I don't see any factory wires. Are there wires within this type of Jack that come preinstalled? Or do I physically have to put new factory wires in? All I see is R, B, Y, G imprinted on the back of the jack. I currently have blue going to the green terminal. Then I have the white and blue going to the red terminal.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. While I was waiting for your reply, I looked at your last photo again, and I realized the picture was from the back side, not the front. That being the case, I was wondering where the factory wires were. Now, I know they are concealed behind the plastic. But it's good that they indicated the colors using letters by the terminal screws.
Have you plugged anything into it to test it with the way it is currently configured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is currently plugged in and still no Internet signal. I am tempted to go to each Jack and unplug all the wires except for the blue and white and the blue, but seeing as though the jacks but I did not tamper with had all wires attached, I don't feel like I should have to do that?
It makes sense however, because the only two wires that are connected at the NID (photos in original post) are red and green terminals. None of the other color combos are connected.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It's okay to disconnect other jacks in the house temporarily. But if you do, I would make a sketch or take pictures showing how they are wired, so you can put them back how they are if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may try that. Theoretically thought it won't make s difference, as only the red and green terminals should be active, right?
Any other ideas?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think I would like to move your question to the phone category. It's likely there are experts in that category who can better assist you. Is it okay with you if I move the question to a different category?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert was very courteous but was not able to answer my question. I need a phone/wiring expert.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Red is RING and TIP is Green...remember that on your NEW telephone plates. If you haven't swapped the wires around on the plates, those should be correct for each one.

Now on your NID, the red/green pair is being used correctly from the Telephone company.

So...now we need to figure out what COLORED pair is used to connect the NID to ALL the other jacks, and since we don't know that....

START at the NID. What colored pair do you see being used??

It will most likely go to the closest telephone jack. Solid Blue/Orange/Brown with white stripe should be the RED/RING line. Use that setup through out your home.

TEST your first connection FIRST. Then move on to the rest of the home.

Hope it rings and dials out.

If it does, then test the furthest outlet...if it's dead then you'll have to test midway all the way back to the nearest LIVE outlet and select a different color pair between the LIVE outlet and the nearest DEAD outlet.

That's the only way you can restore your phone wiring properly.

You won't need to connect all the wiring, just select a wire pair and try to use only that color and connect the SOLID color to the RED/RING on the plates, White to the GREEN/TIP lines.

And hope the DSL box functions.

It's the only way to do it. Did your Telco verify you can get DSL? I think it's still one mile distance from the nearest CO for it to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, I will try that in the next few minutes. The biggest confusing factor however is that when I look at the NID box I don't see any of my colored wires being attached to anything. They are just hanging loose in the box with the insulation sleeve pulled back. The only thing that is going into a jack is the red and green. Do these colored pairs need to be attached to something at the NID, or are they attached somewhere deeper in the NID that I can't see?
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Trace that wire. You can depress the tab at the bottom of that TR module and unlock that module to see where it connects to your home wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lifted up the tab but I cannot see any wires from beyond that point, only the red and green that go into it. Please see the pictures
http://tinypic.com/r/2hhq8mb/8
http://tinypic.com/r/5wfax5/8
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

I see 2 possibilities in that picture.

1} The hole with 2 cables in the lower right. One may be your house wiring.

2} The PIPE on the lower right. Below your box is that unscrewed box. The pipe looks like it may feed cables into the lower box that is screwed shut. And that termination block with the red/green wire...that TAB is on the right of that block. It looks like you depress that to remove the termination block to get BEHIND that block. I'm not talking about the purple plastic cover, I'm talking about the whole block that snaps into that upper box. It looks like a plug in termination block. In fact the whole system looks to be a commercial setup, not a residential termination block.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I depressed the tab on the termination block and removed it. It is connected by a small black insulation wire to the left side of the box that remains locked. That is the side that belongs to the telephone company and I am unable to open it.
The hole in the house that has the two wires coming out of it, one wire is the color coded wires that are hanging free inside the open side NID. The second wire feeds behind to the locked part of the NID box.
Inside the pipe there is just 1 huge insulated cable that goes into the bottom of the locked part of the NID box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://tinypic.com/r/23idq4x/8
http://tinypic.com/r/8xlyx2/8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive me reply last night?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am the original expert who replied to your question. I assume you are looking to reconnect with the second expert who helped you, since I moved your question to the Phone Category. I need to opt out, so I don't continue receiving replies to this conversation. If and when you choose to rate the service, please rate the Phone Expert who assisted you.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

I just received it at 12 midnight.

This is important --

The hole in the house that has the two wires coming out of it, one wire is the color coded wires that are hanging free inside the open side NID. The second wire feeds behind to the locked part of the NID box

Take a closer look at that wire. That should be delivering your phone signal to your home, and if possible see if you can get that color coding from that wire, and I am still wondering why you have a large multi-phone box on your home. Previously Apartments or Commercial office space??

How about those security screws on the locked section of the box? They Looked like security Torx to me, but the picture wasn't the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went and opened that box up. What I found was a tag from the most recent service tech that came out to turn my service on. Then I saw the red and green wires coming from my side of the box and those were attached to two separate terminals: the red wire attached to the blue house line and the green wire attached to the white and blue house line. No other color combinations were attached anywhere or spliced. I am going to go back through all my outlets now and ensure this pattern continues. Will update in a few.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: so frustrating. Two of the jacks or not wired correctly so I attached the red to the blue and the green to the white and blue. Now all jacks in the house, even the ones that I did not tamper with initially, all have the same configuration. Still no Internet on any of the jacks. The only thing I have not tried is disconnecting all other wires with the other color combinations from the black and yellow jack plate terminals. Not sure if this would make a difference or not.
Also, the only other thing I can think of is that my new Jack plates installed on 2 of the outlets do not have any visible red and green wiring, but they are stamped as being red and green terminals. I had initially assumed the wiring was internal But maybe I need to add wiring to those jacks? No idea. Could this be causing a leak throughout the circuit and thus not allowing for any signal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think my last message went through. Here are a few pictures from the telephone company side of the box:
http://tinypic.com/r/11ljvqx/8
http://tinypic.com/r/euebd0/8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any thoughts? i am wondering if it is a bad/degraded wire somewhere in the house.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand you are probably busy, but I have now waited almost 2 days for a response. If you aren't sure of a possible solution, or don't have the time to provide any additional assistance, would you mind re-opening my question up to other experts for assistance?

Thanks for your help

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

eah sorry, I had to work Saturday and I've been getting home around 10PM Thurs and Friday.

Could this be causing a leak throughout the circuit and thus not allowing for any signal?

To be honest, it sounds like the wiring is correct with the Blue and Blue/white setup in your home. You've got normal phone reception at your jacks yet?? You can at least hear that signal