Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Will not make outgoing calls. stays on dial tone.Model 5.8GHz

Customer Question

Will not make outgoing calls. stays on dial tone.Model 5.8GHz cordless Telephone/answering system E5680
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually - is it a Uniden EXAI 5680?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No. 2. No others on line .3.Yes Verizon 4No 5.SN:AW###-##-####
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. I don't need the serial number, I just need you to confirm the model number, as the is a very old and obscure model. Initially I can tell you that this symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines. To isolate the issue further, it will be necessary to test another phone on the line, preferably just a basic corded model. Would it be possible for you to get/buy/borrow just a basic corded phone to check if you can call out on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re :5.8 GHz Cordless Telephone/answering System E5860 .It must be a part defect insi ide. Have installed a new at&t cL84102 et cetera DECT 6.0 system.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. If the issue does not appear on the new phone, then the old one has an internal fault. These 5.8ghz systems are obsolete and have not been made for 8+ years, so it isn't surprising to see it fail just from age related wear and tear. The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality. If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. Unfortunately once the 1 year warranty is up, repairs are not practical, and the base alone cannot be replaced. The most economical option in this case is to replace the entire system, which it sounds like you have already done.I do not personally recommend the ATT systems, as they (especially the newer models) tend to be very poorly made and short lived. If you would like some replacement suggestions for a better quality system, I'd be happy to advise further. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dial tone contines after the number has been dialed. ON INCOMING calls, the number rings and I can hear th e caller but he cannot hear me.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is this happening with the new/replacement phone as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, since it happens with a new phone, that would tend to indicate a line fault, not a phone issue. Now if you still have the old phone connected at the same time, that could be interfering. Disconnect the old phone and retest the new. If it still happens, it is a line fault, and you'll need to get in touch with your phone company to repair the equipment on their end that is causing the problem.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,