Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I've got a Polycom SoundPoint handset phone in my home office.

Customer Question

I've got a Polycom SoundPoint handset phone in my home office. It makes noise when it's not in use -- static that's intermittent. I tried switching out the surge protector power cord it's plugged in to and this didn't help. Any ideas?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.
Digital phones do have a comfort noise generator but that only produces static when there's no audio on an active call. The source of the static is most likely external to the phone. Many electrical devices can passively receive external interference and on a device like this it will manifest itself in audible static - even when the phone is not off the hook.
I think that your approach of replacing the power surge protector is on the right track, but it won't actually condition the power. They do have devices that do that and they are called power conditioners. There more expensive than surge protectors, but I'm fairly certain it would fix the problem.
Here is a link to what I'm talking about:
http://bitli.es/2CMde1
Please let me know if you have any questions.