Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

The caller ID only works calls which say "incoming

Customer Question

The caller ID only works for alternate calls which say "incoming call"
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
6) Please describe what you mean by "alternate calls"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) All 3 handsets
2) No other phones or fax
3) No
4) No
5)Panasonic KX-TG433SK
6) CID on a call then next call is "Incoming Call". Next call is CID then next call is "Incoming Call"
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.Are you seeing this when you press the down arrow on the phone, bringing up a list of received calls?Are you actually seeing an entry with the text of "incoming call" and information next to it (date/time, etc)? Did you have any issues with your prior phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am seeing it when the phone is ringing.
I see the entry with the text of "incoming call" no date/time, etc.
No issues with prior phone.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It is normal to see "incoming call" while it is ringing. IF there is caller id available, which is not always the case, it won't be displayed. It also won't pick up the caller id signal until 1 or 2 rings have elapsed, so seeing that message is not unusual. It also may simply be that you are seeing the title of incoming call above each individual line item (that does show caller data) when you browse through the call list. Looking through another log, or a log of all calls, you may see some of them title incoming, others as missed, or others as outgoing call, which is simply how they are sorted/organized in the call list. That doesn't mean that the system is actually missing or not logging ever other call. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting "incoming call" from callers on my old phone which displayed their names. I have tried letting it ring 3 times. I don't understand why the CID does not show up for each call instead of alternate calls.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
So your old phone is doing the exact same thing as the panasonic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My old phone gave the CID not incoming call.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have them both connected at the same time? If not, can you please test, and observer if the old phone continues to work and show caller data for all calls, and if the panasonic continues to show only every other one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am no longer using my old phone.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand that. I'm asking you to reconnect it, for testing purposes. That is the best way to diagnose the issue and determine if it is a panasonic or line fault.