Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

When I am talking to someone on my Panasonic dect phone every

Customer Question

When I am talking to someone on my Panasonic dect phone every other word cuts out. This even happens when someone leaves a message on the answering machine.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, the problem is happening with all of the handsets.
2. I do not have any other devices on this line.
3. The line is a landline from my cable company. We have a modem for the line.
4. We do not have DSL.
5. Panasonic KX-TG7875S
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is it only the voice of the personal calling you that cuts out, or do they hear you intermittently as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They hear me without cutting out. It is happening only on my end. The problem recently began. I have the phone for about a month.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines. To properly isolate the issue, we really need to test another phone on the line though. Is it possible for you to hook up an old phone, borrow one from a friend/neighbor, etc? In the meantime, regarding the panasonic itself, one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens. I have no other phones to try, but I will try to reset the phone.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If still no change, you can try rebooting the modem (if the phones connect through your gateway/modem), by unplugging power to it for 60+ seconds