Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have cordless Panasonic phones and one didn't work so I changed

Customer Question

I have cordless Panasonic phones and one didn't work so I changed batteries and then I checked the old batteries and they had enough charge. Put them back in and now I have to push the speaker button to get a dial tone.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually - what you sent is the handset model, but I need the base/system model please)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No
2. Don't use the fax
3. Charter Cable phone and Internet
4. I'm guessing not
5. KX-TG4221
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. So if the one handset doesn't work, that is most likely just an internal fault in that one handset, meaning that the earpiece speaker is broken/damaged, or the wiring to it is bad. You can hear in speaker mode because that uses the larger speaker on the back, rather than the earpiece.
There is really no practical fix for these handsets once you're past the 1 year factory warranty. Having it repaired would end up costing far more in labor alone than it would to replace the handset.
It wouldn't hurt to remove the batteries again and let the handset sit for 15 minutes, to reset it. But beyond that, replacement will be the more practical route.
You may order a replacement handset online, here: http://amzn.to/1DXZxTY
As this is a 6 year old (2009 model), you may prefer to go with a whole new system, as you can get a whole base unit with 1-4 handsets, updated features, and a fresh warranty, in the $50-100 range. If you'd prefer replacement system recommendations, just let me know.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might just get a whole new set. I'm sure these are old and worn out. Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't say worn out, but over time the base station will end up failing (usually from power surge damage) even if the other handsets are still good, and the handset batteries will likely all need to be replaced soon, which gets expensive as well. You can always donate this set though, or use it as a spare phone out in the garage/basement, etc.Here is a replacement model I'd recommend, if you're interested: http://amzn.to/1DY0Fqz It has a corded base station, which is always handy in case a cordless phone isn't nearby, or if you need to make a call in an emergency when the power is out (when the cordless phones won't work), a speaker phone in the base, it has large easy to see buttons and screen, and amplified sound. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan