Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

i purchased the vtech CS6729-2 2 handset cordless answering

Customer Question

i purchased the vtech CS6729-2 2 handset cordless answering system yesterday, came home, plugged them in properly, set the date/time, recorded my directory information, left them plugged in to charge from 2:00 p.m. yesterday till now. The phones both say 'no line'. Help please.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask WHERE you purchased this system and was it a "brand new" system?
May I also ask what phone service provider (phone company) you have for the phone line you are connecting to?
One more thing: Do you have a DIFFERENT phone (corded or otherwise) that is connected to this same phone line and is WORKING?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The system was purchased at Walmart Westbrook, Calgary, AB Canada and it is brand new.
Shaw has my contract for Wifi, cable, phone, etc.
No other phone is connected to the system. I do have a Canon printer plugged into the phone line, but my phone worked just fine before. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, OK - does that mean that your Canon printer has/had a PHONE connected to it? May I ask WHERE you plugged the phone cord from the MAIN BASE UNIT of the Vtech into (what phone jack)? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not. It is downstairs.The phone cord is plugged into my kitchen jack as well as the electrical outlet. I hope this is what you wanted.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is what I wanted.OK - has this kitchen phone jack been in use before - with a different phone - and been proved to be working?If so, do you still have that "other phone" and can connect it again - to TEST that phone jack one more time?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is where my old phone was plugged in. It did not work yesterday as it would dial out and go dead but not ring the number. I thought it might be time for a new battery which is $26.00 and since the phone was very old, instead I purchased the new vtech and the 2nd phone for my bedroom.Just give me a moment and I will try the old phone again. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for that. Yes - please try with the other phone - to TEST that you at least get a dial tone.I will wait for your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting a dial tone and cannot dial out. Is it my provider that is the problem? Shall I unplug the printer downstairs? Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It could very well be EITHER the provider OR the printer - IF it has a phone cord connected to it (used for FAX?). Let's disconnect any phone cord from the printer, then WAIT about 2 minutes, and then plug the PHONE back into the phone jack. This will TEST if the printer was "hanging" the phone line.NOTE: Unplug the phone from the phone jack too - if it is still plugged in. This gives time for the phone line to "clear" - if it was hung.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the printer from the phone jack. Tried my old phone in the kitchen again and it works just fine. Just tried my new vetch phone and it is now working fine. Does that mean I cannot have my printer plugged into the phone line at all? It is supposed to fax when the phone is not in use. Many thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That DOES sound like the printer was "hanging the line" - for some unknown reason.
You MAY want to try completely powering down the printer (unplug the power for a minute or two, then reconnect power), and then reconnecting the phone cord.
Sometimes these printers DO get hung on the phone line, and a reset will often take care of that. But if not, you may want to have the printer looked at or serviced (if it is use it a lot and it is worth it).
Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your assistance. Have a good day.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions. And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)