Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Panasonic Kt-TG-4500 4 line digital voice mail system

I have a Panasonic Kt-TG-4500 4 line digital voice mail system and line two now has no dial tone. How can I fix this?
Thank you,
Cathy
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the AGE of this system and WHEN this issue first began?

May I also ask if you are using ALL of the other lines, and if they are working properly?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

4 years old

Problem started one month ago

Hi again,

That is, are lines 1, 3, and 4 working?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We do use all the other lines and they do work properly.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask if you have tried to "swap" the phone connectors yet - in the back of the main base unit?

They should be labeled "LINE 1/2" and "LINE 3/4", and all you should need to do is swap those two phone cords.

Please make that swap (if you haven't already) and let me know if the issue "moves" to Line 4.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The issue moved to line 4.

Hi again,

AH-HA - We have just discovered (through some basic troubleshooting) that the issue is NOT with the Panasonic, but with the phone line itself, OR the phone cord(s) that are used to bring line 2 (now line 4) to the main base unit.

So now that we know that, the first step is to SWAP back the phone cords (so we do not introduce any new issues).

Next, you will want to swap the OTHER ENDS of the phone cords - from the phone jacks that they are connected to. This will tell us if the problem is the phone cord(s) OR with the phone line (up to the phone jacks).

I hope that is clear. Please let me know if you need any clarification AND your results when you swap the other end of the phone cords.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I am assuming that you have ONLY two phone cords. Please let me know if there is other connectors involved - such as "combiner" jacks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Line 4 still does not have a dial tone after swapping out the phone jacks.

Hi again,

Did you FIRST swap the phone lines back - to make sure the problem moved back to line 2?

Then did you swap the other end of the 2 phone cords, to find the issue on line 4 again?

I just want to be absolutely sure of that steps were taken.

By the way, here is a diagram of what I believe you have for your connections. Please let me know if this is NOT what you have.

graphic

So please let me know if the problem MOVES when EITHER end of the phone cord swap.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes - I did swap the other end of the 2 phone cords and found the issue on line 4 still. The problem is still on line 4.

Hi again,

OK - if we can NOW swap the phone cords one more time - AND the issue moved BACK to line 2, then we know the issue is with the phone service for line 2.

Can you please make that swap one more time, and confirm that the issue moves back to line 2?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I made the swap and the issue is with line 2.

Hi again,

OK - then we have CONFIRMED that the issue is with the line 2 phone service.

May I ask if you have ANY other phones or devices that are connected to the line 2 phone line? These other devices can be in any other phone jack in your home or office.

What I would like to do is find out if those other devices or phone jacks still work - for line 2.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have 5 cordless phones which have access to all 4 lines and none of them have a dial tone on line 4.

Hi again,

At this time we should not be concerned with any of the "cordless" parts of the system.

The only thing that we should be concerned about is the WIRED portion of the main base unit.
So are we back to the original configuration - where both phone cords are connected AND there is no dial tone on line 2?

If so, are you aware of ANY other phone jacks in your home or office that should have line 2 service?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No other phone jacks have line 2 service

OK - what we have done so far - when moving those phone cords - is discovered that the issue is that line 2 is NOT working, and it is most likely not working AT the phone jack in the wall.

Now since you said that you do not have line 2 service on any other phone jacks in your home or office, we must conclude that the issue with line 2 is either coming into your home or office (at the main box) OR there is a wiring issue between the phone service "entry point" (main phone box on your home or office) and the phone jack you are connecting to.

Now I am assuming that line 2 DID work for some time (before this issue occurred), so the most likely issue is the phone service coming into your home or office. That is, if a technician was to arrive and TEST your service - where it first comes to the building - line 2 would not be working.

So what I recommend at this point is to contact the "technical support" folks at your phone service provider, and have them TEST the service and lines coming to your building. They SHOULD be able to do this remotely, and MOST "Technical support" groups work 24 hours a day, even on weekends. So you should be able to contact them immediately and have them test this line.

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions about this issue.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX