Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

We have a 3-set of Uniden phones. The main phone has stopped

We have a 3-set of Uniden phones. The main phone has stopped showing anything on the screen. We have tried switching phones around, without success. Would like to know how to fix the problem and where this can be done in Canberra ACT please
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
This sounds like a cordless system, so please look for that model number printed on the back or bottom of the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system (the part that plugs into the phone cord).

May I also ask the AGE of this system and WHEN this issue first began?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no number on back or bottom of base unit or when i open battery box May help - battery no is CTB96. We have had phones for 4 years. It is a cordless system. First had trouble about 5 months ago

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Can you tell me if there is a "sticker" inside the handset? I ask because that may show a model number too. I have a couple of pictures I took of some of my Uniden systems that show the model number of my systems below, as an example of what to look for.

Base Unit

Also, since you have the battery out, may I ask if you have replaced ANY of the batteries in this system since it was new? If not, trying ONE FULLY RECHARGED replacement battery in the failing handset would be the first thing I would try - to see if that handset will still function that way.

And by the way, there are not very many shops that will actually "repair" a handset in a cordless system, but depending on the model number, we can most likely get a replacement handset that can be "registered" with your system - to replace any failing handset.

Please let me know what you find for the model number stickers, or if you can get a replacement battery pack, charge it up (in one of the WORKING handsets), and then try it on the failing handset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tks Greg. Sticker shows Model Elite 9035+2 98004462. Batteries are new. Have tried charging in another handset. And would u believe this? We just bought a new 3-piece phone from Telstra. My wife got tired of trying!!! So how do I get my $36 dollars back? Anyway thanks for your help. I learnt a lot!

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the delay - I was out for a few hours this evening (I'm on the West Coast of the U.S.).

If you want to "save" the Uniden phone system - and keep using it, you MAY be able to simply replace the one handset with a new one. The model number of handset you will be looking for is the Elite9005, and I see that Uniden does still have a "Buy now" button on their web page for this system (CLICK HERE). You may be able to find this handset at a lower price - if you do a bit of searching online.
Also on that page is a manual for the system - as a PDF file - as you may need that to get the instructions to "register" the handset to the system.

I only mention this because I think it would be really sad to "throw out" a working system just because ONE of the components has gone bad. So if you would want to revive the full system, or perhaps pass it on to a friend in it current configuration, that might be good too. OR, perhaps sell the system online or to a local shop - for resale. Again, I just don't like the idea of "throwing out" systems that still works, especially if the batteries are new. It just seems like a waste of resources, when it could continue to be put to good use. I don't want to impose any "ecological opinions", but please consider one of the options I mentioned above.

As for getting your deposit back, you can look into that at the following link. This is because I don't have access to your payment information - for your privacy.

Please let us know if you have more questions in the future.

Best Regards, XXXXX XXXXX