Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.

Locked by Customer Service

Is there a way to retrieve an erased message from a answering machine? Model #KX TCM941 B
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer/pearl, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question, and remember you are rating me personally, not the negative rating, please withhold your rating and let me know so I may either close your question or find you another expert to work with. A negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the panasonic.

p0llinate :

I have to caution you up front though that recovering deleted messages can be difficult, and is not always possible, but I'll do my very best to help you retrieve them if they can be.

Can you tell me when they were deleted, and how (meaning did you press a button/code to delete all messages, or were they deleted individually?) How long ago did this happen, and have new messages been recorded since?

Customer:

It was deleted today, individually. About 1:00 pm and there have been no new messages recorded.

p0llinate :

Ok, that does help somewhat.

Customer:

This cannot be the first time you have ever been asked this question.

p0llinate :

But it still is not easy or usually practical, unless the message was extremely important/valuable.

p0llinate :

No it is not, it comes up somewhat frequently.

Customer:

It was my mother's voice and she passed away last year.

p0llinate :

The short answer though is that you still cannot retrieve it.
There is no mechanism for retrieving a deleted message, you cannot restore them yourself. Once they are deleted, the messages are, for all intents and purposes, gone. These machines are very basic, and don't have a "recycle bin" that can be accessed like your computer does.

p0llinate :

Since it was recent and no new messages have overwritten it, you have a better chance of recovery.To do so, you'd need to take the machine in to a data recovery specialist. There are often local shops, with names like Data Doctors, they specialize in retrieving lost information from computer hard drives, memory cards, etc. They may be able to pull something off, if the messages haven't been overwritten, though the process is time consuming (often many weeks), and expensive (several hundred $), and would require dismantling the machine to the point it couldn't be used again. In theory, if they could extract the files, they'd copy them to a CD for you for long term storage.

p0llinate :

So overall, while this is a remote possibility, the probability is high that you'll never be able to get these back. I apologize for being the bearer of bad news here, unfortunately there is no other practical way around this, these machines simply aren't designed for long term archival and don't make any accommodations for un-deleting, which I've confirmed previously with pansonic engineers.

Customer:

Okay So this is going to cost me $30.

p0llinate :

Well, that is up to your discretion. While the site does have a satisfaction guarantee, in this case the limitations of the pansonic system (and really, all answering machines) prevent me from "fixing" the problem. I do wish I could give a more optimistic answer, it just isn't practical in this instance. Typically in these cases it is customary to accept the answer, in recognition of my time and effort to provide the answer and explain the issue, even though it cannot really be fixed.

p0llinate :

If my time and efforts were of no value at all to you, I can arrange for a refund of your deposit for you.

p0llinate :

If my answers were helpful, at least in saving you some time and frustration pursuing something that cannot be done, you may click one of the positive (top 3) smiley faces to give me a favorable rating for my time.

Customer:

All I wanted to know is if it could be done.

p0llinate :

I understand. So then yes, in that case the answer cost is $30.

Customer:

I think you knew from the beginning that it could not be retrieved.

p0llinate :

Yes, I knew it could not be retrieved by you personally in any case. But I wanted to find out a bit more to tell you if it was possible at all with more advanced methods, in case that were necessary for your situation.

p0llinate :

I have seen, in similar instances, where someone did need to go through the data retrieval process as the lost message was important to a court case or other legal proceedings, so the cost and efforts may be worthwhile.

p0llinate :

My intent was only to provide an accurate answer, not to judge the value of your message, which is why I wanted to give as much detail and options as possible for you.

p0llinate :

I could have responded with a simple "no" to your question and left it at that, but I feel that would be doing you a disservice, and also not give my answer any credibility without the reasoning behind it.

Customer:

I just don't think this question was very complicated.

p0llinate :

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I agree, it does not need to be complicated. You indicated a medium level of detail when posting the question, so I took that to mean that you wanted an answer, with an explanation.

p0llinate :

Or are you saying it was a basic question and you think the cost is too high based on that?

p0llinate :

I don't want to take up any more of your time on a simple question, and will be happy to proceed however you'd like. I'm also open to communicating further with you if you desire, just let me know how you'd like to proceed from here, as I am a bit unsure.

Customer:

I indicated medium because I didn't really understand what that entailed. So I just want to know if I get the refund.

p0llinate :

Again that can be arranged, if that is what you are asking me to do. If you feel the time that I've spent to provide and explain the answer was of no use or value to you, I can send a note to customer service for a refund. If you wish to compensate me for my time spent in good faith to answer your question, you'd proceed with one of the ratings below.

p0llinate :

Also, while you may not be able to get these messages back, a suggestion I'd make for the future is to switch from an answering machine to a voicemail service through your phone/cable company. Especially in cases of digital phone service, you can often access and archive your messages online, which would allow you to save any important messages to your computer or a disc, to ensure their long term preservation.

Customer:

I'm not saying you didn't answer my question. I just don't think it was worth $30. Can

p0llinate :

The value is pre-established, based on the level of detail and urgency that you indicate when posting.

p0llinate :

If you think a lesser value would be more equitable, while not our normal process, I can send a request on to the site administrators to see if they can adjust the value.

Customer:

Well then that option should be explained more clearly.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry if the site was unclear. I'm an independent tech, just hear to answer the questions, so the site layout is unfortunately out of my control. I believe it normally asks you to indicate those things though, and then you can see the price adjust accordingly if you change your options.

p0llinate :

I believe if you had done low and low (rather than medium/medium) it would have been closer to the $20 range, shall I ask for it to be changed to that perhaps?

Customer:

No where did I see that option, in fact, when I spoke to the rep on the telephone, she said this service was free. I think it should

p0llinate :

Perhaps you misunderstood the service.

Customer:

be refunded but please see if you can change it to $20.

p0llinate :

This is justanswer.com, as I mentioned in my introduction. This is a paid support service. This is not panasonic.

p0llinate :

And this site does not provide any phone support, it is web chat only. Maybe you spoke with someone from panasonic on the phone?

p0llinate :

I apologize if it was unclear how the site works, normally it is explained several times though to make sure you know what you are purchasing, which is why a credit card deposit is required up front to post a question.

p0llinate :

If you'd like to go ahead with the accept/rating, that will close out our chat, and I can then send a note over to customer service to adjust the amount for you.

Customer:

Do I have a choice? I type Panasonic.com/support and I get you. What am I suppose to think?

p0llinate :

I think what happened is that you typed that into a search bar (google/bing) and not into the actual address bar in your browser, and the search results brought up an ad for this site, which you must have clicked on.

p0llinate :

For what it is worth, your phone model is very old (2 generations ago) and panasonic would not have provided tech support for it at this point anyway.

p0llinate :

They likely would have emailed you a copy of the manual (where the answer is not mentioned), or referred you to a site such as this in the end.

Customer:

Well you're the expert. I know its old, I have the manual. Would they have charged me $30 for that information?

p0llinate :

They would not have charged you anything, they would have told you they no longer support this model and not given you any answer. All they would have said is that it's not supported, and that if you need the manual you can download it from the panasonic website.

Customer:

that is all I wanted to know.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry for dragging this out, and I don't mean to sound argumentative or waste your time. If you did not understand there was a charge for the site, or feel the service was misleading, I'll ask for a refund for you. I was just trying to point out that you had come to the site here and engaged my services, which I responded to in good faith; I don't work for the site, so I'm only paid for my time when you give a positive rating of my service.

p0llinate :

So we are at the point now that you have your answer I hope, and you may now decide if you want a full refund, or a reduced fee if I can work that out with the site on your behalf.

Customer:

I understand what you are saying. But I feel I was mislead. I am not a computer expert and the instructions are very misleading. I would appreciate a refund.

p0llinate :

Ok, I'll put in a refund request for you then.

Customer:

Thank you.

p0llinate :

Since I am not getting paid at all for my time spent with you, if you receive in a few days an email survey, I would request that you provide a favorable rating for me there. That reflects only on me personally, and does not cost you anything.

Customer:

I have no problem with you, I appreciate your help. I just don't like the way this site is run.

p0llinate :

I understand, and I'm sorry for any confusion.

p0llinate :

I'll step out now, so I can move on to assist other customers, and put in your refund request for you.

p0llinate :

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Customer:

Thank you.

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Residential and commercial systems.