Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

We have the Panasonic Home system KX- TGA 401 as shown on bottom

We have the Panasonic Home system KX- TGA 401 as shown on bottom of phones.

The phone started telling us yesterday that the base had no power..checked every phone connection in house and of course, checked the base phone to make certain everything was connected. I can't find my manual..

PLEASE HELP THIS OLD LADY
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier - sometimes it does take a minute or two (or more) to actually show here.

I believe I can help you with this.

The key to that message ("Base no Power"), is to find the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system - the part of the system that connects to the PHONE CORD and also an AC adapter. I have an illustration below of a typical Panasonic system, and what MAY be wrong is that the MAIN BASE UNIT is disconnected from power.

graphic

May I ask if you can find the MAIN BASE UNIT of your system and check ALL connections at the back of that component AND the AC adapter - where it plugs into the wall (or an outlet strip)?

Please let me know what you find, and we can take more steps - if needed.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before you probably got my question. I told the person then that we had checked the base phone and everything appeared to be connected properly.

We also checked the other phones and they were properly connected.

We lost one of our phones about a month ago, would that have anything to do with our current problem.

I don't want to sound like a rude person, but I have spent a great deal of time on "just

answer" and written the same answer to the same question several times. And keep being asked the same question. WHY???????????

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

Having "lost" a handset wouldn't really cause this type of issue. A more common display for that kind of issue would be if the lost handset is still in range of the main base unit, and as the batteries gets low, it might come ON and cause the other handsets to show something like "busy" or "line in use".

Now for this particular error, did the person you asked to look at the main base unit actually FIND the main base unit AND did they physically disconnect the AC adapter, WAIT about 10-15 minutes, and then reconnect the AC adapter at BOTH the main base unit AND the AC outlet?

Let me send you the FULL reset procedure that I use in these cases - to see if system operation can be restored. Please try this OR have your friend try it, in the EXACT sequence and timing shown. And don't worry about the "lost handset" when doing the procedure.

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find. Or REPLY if you have more questions or symptoms to report.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First our base unit does not look like the unit with extra buttons. All of the phones have the same base.

Followed your instructions to the letter, but the phones are not working.

Since they have been off for over 24 hours is it possible we need new batteries. I believe we have some AAA rechargeable batteries.

Before I contacted your service I had done everything you told me to do except your last advise, where we took out the batteries.

Please advise, we really need our phones. You will find I am perfectly capable of following any instructions you give. I hooked up my computer, I hooked up our last two TV's both with WiFi.

I think I may have given you the wrong impression when I said please help this old woman.

.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
HI again and thanks for that information.

I understand that your system may be different from the image I sent along. The diagram I sent was just an EXAMPLE of a "typical" system that I had ready as an image.

And I hope that I did NOT imply or interpret the "wrong impression", as I would never do that. My father, who is in his late 80s, is perfectly capable of doing any of the steps I have sent. I will also assume that you are capable of the same steps - UNLESS you tell me otherwise. I am only trying to help find the problem, and I only know what you have told me here, and can only provide direction based on that information. I of course do not know what you tried before sending your message here - that is why I try to ask exactly what is found or seen by you or the friends that are helping you there.

I think the KEY here is that we (I) need to find the Model Number of the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system, as I don't know what that model number is XXXXX That model number WILL have a format of KX-TGxxxx - where xxxx is a 4-digit number (as shown in the diagram).

So may I ask if you (or one of your friends) actually found a main base unit that fits that format? And if so, may I ask what was that full model number is?

One other question - from a different perspective.
Do you have ANY other devices attached to ANY other phone jacks in your home? I only ask because if you have other devices attached to other phone jacks, I have seen other devices cause problems like this.

And again, I am only trying to help as much as I can, to try and get your phone service restored. Any information I ask about it directed towards that goal.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg,

I didn't check the Main Base Unit for a number, but I will do so right now..

The number on the three phones are the same.

I was wrong the base is different, it has a locate button and three others.

I now wonder if the phone that was lost is the one that belongs on the base??

The base does have a different # XXXXX X-TG 4031

I have no doubt you are doing your best to help me. I was just trying to let you know that I could follow your instruction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible the phone we lost was the base phone and that is the problem???? I know I keep asking questions, but that is just me I try to look

for every possible answer to problems.

Peg

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Very good. Please check ALL connections on that main base unit - INCLUDING the AC adapter at BOTH ENDS! I mention that because that is the main cause of the message that you are seeing on the handsets.

Oh, by the way, I just did a DIFFERENT "typical system" diagram, and it happens to be for the KX-TG4033 system, which has one more handset than perhaps yours does. Thank you for motivating me to make a different diagram!

graphic

And I just saw your last post ... about the lost handset.

The chances are VERY SLIM that the lost handset is the cause of this issue.
BUT, may I ask "how long" has the handset been missing? What I am thinking here is that if has only been a few days, you MAY be able to use the "locate" function - to make the lost handset "beep" - and be able to find it.

Please let me know what you find out about the AC adapter (both ends) for the Main Base Unit.

Thanks
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg.

Sorry had to stop and help my husband, who is blind, make the bed.

Have been checking the ac adapter and the phone line Connections several times and they appear to be secure on both ends.

Did my question about the batteries, make any sense????

I want you to know I do appreciate your help. It has been a hard day for

me and I am worried about a test my husband will take tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes have checked them several times and them seem to be secure.

The picture you send last is the base that we have.four phones counting the base.

Is it possible that the batteries are worn out, I think I told you we do have AAA rechargeable batteries. I know I am probably grabbing at straws.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Please don't worry about getting back to me in a particular time - I'm here most of the day (Pacific time) and I'm here almost every day too.

As for the AC adapter on the main base unit, you will want to actually DISCONNECT both ends of that adapter, and leave it unplugged for about 15 minutes (not just "check the connection"). This will give the base unit chance to reset. And at the same time, you may want to check the "temperature" of the AC adapter. When working, these normally are "warm", but it should NOT be HOT. That would be an indication of a problem.

As for the Batteries in the handsets, they MAY be getting worn - IF they are more than 2 years old or the handsets are NOT placed back in the charging stands when you are not using them. But worn batteries usually will show a "warning" on the handset, or the handset will only last for a few minutes during a conversation. Worn batteries should NOT cause the message you reported (Base no power).

Also, you MUST make sure that any rechargeable batteries that you put in these handsets is the RIGHT TYPE & TECHNOLOGY. That is, they MUST be NiMH (Nickle Metal Hydride) technology, and have the same "power rating" (capacity) of the original batteries - or perhaps slightly more capacity. As an example, I have a link to a search on Amazon, to show what you would be looking for. CLICK HERE. But you SHOULD be able to find similar batteries locally, at almost any store that carries cordless phones. You do NOT have to purchase "Panasonic brand" batteries - just some brand that meets the same conditions I mentioned above. To get the correct batteries, I would recommend taking one or two of the current batteries with you if you visit a store, and ask someone you feel is "knowledgeable" in the store to help you locate the correct type.

=========================

And even though I don't know you personally, please try not to "worry" too much about an upcoming test. I know my own father has been through MANY tests, and of course I and other family members are/were "concerned", but "worry" doesn't seem to help. Try to "think positive" as much as you can, and let your husband or perhaps other friends or family members know you are concerned, but you hope (and believe) that everything will turn out alright. There IS power in positive thinking. I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts - so that one more positive thing happening.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.